17 - Passion Fruit

The color of the rose was reflected on Raine's cheeks as she blushed deeply

The color of the rose was reflected on Raine's cheeks as she blushed deeply. Her eyes focused on Xavier's sapphire ones as she reached out, accepting the rose in her delicate fingers. "Thank you." Raine said slyly. 

A smirk appeared on Xavier's face as he caught Raine staring at him with her blushed cheeks. "Umm....can I come in?" Xavier said with amusement. "I mean this hallway is pretty entertaining too I guess. But I don't think it's as entertaining as you." He smiled, innocently. 

"Shoot! Sorry! Come on in!" Raine said, moving out of the doorway in haste. 

Xavier chuckled as he stepped into the house. He rubbed his hands together, shaking off the winter's chilled air. The room was warm and cozy and Xavier noticed the fire burning in the fireplace.

"It smells divine in here." Xavier noted as inhaled the smells that were looming in the room. 

Raine smiled. "Thanks. I hope it's as good as your creations." She said playfully. "I mean, it's pretty hard  to beat those chef skills you've got!"  

"Oh please. I'm not nearly as good as you think I am." 

"Well I'm no better. I don't even remember the last time I cooked for anyone." Raine said. Although she meant it to be playful, she couldn't hide the hint of pain within her words. 

"Well, I'll be happy to be your first in a while, like you were mine." Xavier said, noticing a sad emotion pass through her hazel orbs. He took one of her hands into his own, lifting it up and landed his soft lips onto her knuckles, kissing them gently like a true gentlemen. 

Raines heartbeat increased as Xavier's touch created havoc in her body. "G-great....Umm....make yourself at home." Raine said awkwardly as Xavier released her hand. She looked around the room and avoiding his gaze. 

Xavier glanced around the living room as he shrugged his leather jacket off, hanging it behind one of the chairs. "I've got to admit, this place is better than your other apartment."

"Yeah, I guess you can say." She said with a sigh.

Xavier's smile vanished and a serious expression appeared on his face. "Do you like it here? Are you comfortable? I can still arrange something for you if you'd like." He spoke, his voice filled with concern. 

Her smile was back as she shook her head. "I'm fine Xavier. Really."

He stared at her, searching for the truth within her eyes. Once he was positive that she truly meant the words she had said, he nodded. Raine smiled, relieved that he didn't push the matters. Just when she was about to say something, she heard a soft sizzling sound coming from the kitchen. Quickly she rushed to the stove top, turning the burners off.  

"Saved it!" She muttered when she saw the vegetables caramelized to perfection instead of burnt. 

"So what's on the menu for tonight Miss. Woods?" Xavier asked as he leaned on the kitchen counter, watching Raine stirring the stew.