3 - Thorns and Roses

The sun shined through Raine's bright green curtains

The sun shined through Raine's bright green curtains. Raine turned off her alarm and sat up in bed, rubbing her eyes and getting used to the overflow of brightness. Checking the time, she got out of her bed and headed straight to the bathroom. Mike was supposed to be gone today which meant Raine was in charge of both the register and tables.

Getting ready in a floral top and skinny jeans, Raine let go of her hair which was previously in a bun. Her long brown hair cascaded down her back as she ran her fingers through it, quickly fixing it up. It wasn't long before Raine was rushing out the door with her bag in her hands, walking through the streets of New York to head to Cathy's.

* * *

"Raine!! Thank god you're here!" Daisy exclaimed as soon as Raine set her foot onto the premise of the cafe. Raine had barely taken a breath, before she was attacked with an overly excited Daisy.

"Good morning to you too!" Raine said with a bit of humorous sarcasm. "What's got you so hyped up early morning?" Setting her purse behind the counter.

"You will never believe what I just got!!" At this point, Daisy was practically jumping up and down in the middle of an empty cafe.

"What??" Curiosity eating Raine alive with the way Daisy was building all of these things up.

"I'm going to Chicago with my mom!!!"

"What?! Oh my gosh Daisy!! You're finally going to Chicago!!" A giant smile covered Raine's face as she ran to Daisy and pulled her into a hug.

Daisy had been wanting to take her mom to Chicago for the longest time. Cathy had a twin sister that lived there, and unfortunately the two twins were separated when Cathy's sister fell in love with a business accountant from Chicago. Over the years, Cathy became busy with the cafe and funding Daisy's education. Unfortunately, Cathy's sister met a horrifying accident that cause her to become paralyzed from the waist down. It broke her heart to see her sister suffer, but there was nothing she could do about it. Visiting Chicago, although it was a dream, became impossible. Cathy didn't have the money, nor the physical ability to fly out to see her because of her worsening health.

"Yeah I know! Hard to believe right?! I had been trying for the longest time but the doctors kept saying mom couldn't possibly fly in her condition!! But, thanks to all the rest she has been taking ever since I took charge in the cafe, mom's health is actually getting better! And so yesterday once I left the cafe, I got a call from the doctors saying that she can fly out to Chicago as long as she takes all her meds."

"I can't believe it!! Cathy must be so happy!! She hasn't met Judie in 5 years!"

"I know! So I just got off the phone with Aunt Judie and......."

"And?"

"Obviously I'm not letting mom go alone. I am going with her. But......"

"But? But what?" Raine said, confusion evident on her face.