Chapter Nine: Breaks.

We have quite the walk ahead of us, I should save my energy and stop bragging to Itachi.

~~~

The journey should only be about two days, two and a half at most if we're travelling to the Hidden Rain.

I ask Itachi if we could stop at a small river at about noon, he complied. That's where we are now.

The warm, windless day made me feel hot, so it's nice to be able to take this heavy cloak off. I take it off and rinse it in the river. Seeing the blood of those thieves mix into the crystal-clear blue water makes my lips curl up into a smirk.

Things will never go your way if you insult me. I'm not a little girl, nor is my Katana a toy.

The seemingly endless amount of blood coming from my cloak did eventually stop, and I pull it out of the water, ring it out, and lay it on a large rock to dry.

"Akira, you're extremely quick. That's an asset not all of the Akatsuki have. That makes you valuable to us." I sit down on a tree stump next to Itachi, who is standing.

I nod, promoting Itachi to continue.

"You can get the job done quickly. That's a talent you have always naturally possessed, since we were children." Itachi glances down at me, then to the river. He seems to be reminiscing.

"Yeah. Kids, aimlessly wondering about in ANBU headquarters, waiting for our next assignment. They all doubted you, Itachi. I've never doubted you, not once." That's a small lie. I didn't think he was going to follow the Hokage's orders and wipe out his clan, yet he did.

Before I have a chance to do much else, Itachi kneels down in front of me and studies my face.

"Itachi?" I asked questly. He kept searching my face for nothing in particular, then he cups my cheeks in his hands. My breathing hitches.

"My short visits each week haven't allowed me to properly admire the changes in your face. You're beautiful." Itachi leaned in close to me. This time, I leaned in farther and kissed him, allowing my fingers to run through his soft, black hair. He leaned into my own lips and wrapped one arm around my waist, the other around my neck and into my thick hair.

Although this is fun, I pull off of him, our breath ragged.

"We should be leaving soon if we want to make the deadline, Itachi." I stand up and walk over to where my cloak is nearly dry, and put it on. I'd hate to make Pain angry, he seems like he's one to silently plot your death rather than ending it right then and there.

"You're right, I'm sorry. I got ahead of myself." Itachi got off of the ground as well. Not going to lie, that was a great kiss.

Unlike Itachi, I've been studying his face for years. Watching the sorrow in his eyes when he looks up at me, reading his mind through the way they move. I've never seen him happier than when he was with Sasuke. Sasuke is the glimmer in Itachi's abyss-like obsidian eyes.

We are back on the trail, and I can't help but to think,

Itachi, what do you suppose we're doing?