Chapter Forty-Five: Thoughts

"That's because they've already done all they could for their loved ones and village." I felt guilty because I hadn't left the village for the sake of it, but because I was a lovesick teenager who wanted the company of her best friend. I don't regret it, though. I think I made the right choice. Itachi, though. He dearly missed his clansmen and parents, and Shisui. He missed the leaf as well. He knows he had to do what he did. Except for my mother and father, I don't have anything left for me in Konoha. The Akatsuki are like my family. Even those reeking with bloodlust like Hidan and Kisame. 

~~~

WHY

THE 

FUCK

CANT

THINK.

Sasuke sat on the floor in the living room with Indira while Itachi and I sat on the couch minding our own business, but mostly eavesdropping. Indira had decided to show her "new friend" her favorite toys. The poor boy wasn't quite sure what to do so he mainly watched her play, occasionally picking up a toy and moving it around a little bit to participate.

I decided that it was about time for everyone to have a snack so I went to the kitchen and I made rice balls which are one of Indira's favorites. Since this time was a little different with Sasuke around, I decided to bring the food to the living room instead of keeping things in the kitchen. I took the plate and gave one of the rice balls to Itachi, Indira, and then Sasuke. He glared at me but must have been hungry because he took it. I wonder if he remembers when I choked his friend out all those years ago. Maybe I'll ask him about that if we get closer. 

"Hey Sasuke, you're my papa's brother, right?" Indira took a bite of her rice ball and Sasuke replied with a nod of his head.

"Then how come I've never seen you in my whole life? Papa doesn't talk much about you either." Indira took the last few bites of her food before wiping her hands on her dress and staring doubtfully at Sasuke with a brow raised. Despite her bubbliness, she could be a pretty scary toddler. Sasuke shifted in his place before answering her question.

"Well, your father and I haven't been on good terms in a while." Sasuke glanced toward Itachi for a second before smiling at Indira. Itachi didn't exactly look back at him, but at me instead, as a way to hide his face from Sasuke. Usually, Itachi has no shame. He could embarrass someone at the hideout and be completely oblivious to what exactly the problem was. It kind of unnerved me and gave me a bad feeling about what might come in the future. 

Nevertheless, Itachi and I kept a smile on our faces so we didn't get any kind of questions from a particularly curious four-year-old. Sasuke and Indira played for a few minutes before she shifted her focus from him to her toys completely. Sasuke took a seat on the couch across from Itachi and me. He pulled a throw pillow into his lap.

"Is Indira going to be a ninja?" He asked us. I guess it's time for Indira question time.

"That's what we've been training her for, yes. Ultimately, though it'll always be up to her." Itachi answered. Sasuke nodded.

"Training her here isn't going to allow her to be a ninja. All three of us know that she has to enroll in an academy somewhere soon." Sasuke did have a point. I hadn't fuly come to realize that Indira could not become a ninja if she wasn't enrolled soon. 

"People know me, well, everywhere. Itachi, too. Not in a good way, either. There's not much we can do; as much as it pains me to say." Sasuke got quiet and all that I could be heard were Indira's giggles as she played around. A few minutes later, Sasuke had something to say.

"I think there's something I can do for you."