Chapter Forty-Six: Departure

"People know me, well, everywhere. Itachi, too. Not in a good way, either. There's not much we can do; as much as it pains me to say." Sasuke got quiet and all that I could be heard were Indira's giggles as she played around. A few minutes later,  Sasuke had something to say.

"I think there's something I can do for you."

~~~
A/N: This part'll be in third person because I think I write better that way. Also, the picture ^^ makes me wanna fucking die.
~~~

Akira and Itachi sat in silence as they awaited the younger Uchiha's solution. It came quickly and without hesitation.

"I'm one of Konoha's best Jōnin. I'm in the ranks of Kakashi Hatake. I like to think my higher-ups respect me," Sasuke begun his reason with a little bit of boasting but Itachi quickly caught on. "If I could appeal to have the Hokage pardon you two, Indira could easily go to our academy." Sasuke looked more serious to Akira than he'd been as a child or when she saw him just a few years ago. He no-doubt held a grudge because of what she did when Sasuke was just a 9 year old boy. How she left him all alone to follow Itachi.

More important than old memories was the potential danger that could come with the task Sasuke was taking on- for both Indira and himself. Akira and Itachi hadn't felt such a sense of dread in their life in a long time. This single conversation could decided how their little girl's life plays out. Itachi grabbed his lover's hand and they locked eyes- only for a moment. They knew that it was worth the risk if Indira was able to grow up in a stable village.

With the final answer of yes and a hard goodbye, Sasuke was nearly on his way back to the village. He said he'd be checking up on us to make sure Indira was safe and give us reports on progress of our appeal.

That was until a certain baby Uchiha gripped onto her Sasuke's ankle with tears welling up in her big black orbs.

"S-Sasuke? Where are you going? I thought you were staying to play with me!" She mustered through miniature sobs.  Sasuke looked to Akira and Itachi helplessly. He was a ninja, not a babysitter. He certaintly wasn't used to having another relative relying on him like the one attached to his leg was. Akira pryed her wailing daughter from Sasuke. She attempted to shush her, but only the calming voice of her one and only Papa could even dwindle the sobs.

"P-papa! Tell Sasuke.. To stay with me!" Indira's cries were mere tears spilling from her eyes as her voice shook.

"I'm afraid Sasuke has to go back home. He has things to do there." Itachi's warm smile instantly warmed the heart of Indira. It was the warmest voice she knew. Sasuke leaned down and wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"I'll be back soon, so don't worry, Indira." Sasuke smiled and with a wave from Itachi and Akira, he was on his way. I hadn't expected Indira to grow fond of Sasuke so quickly or for him to do so as well.

The next day, Indira played with her toys on the floor while Akira and Itachi sat next to each other on the couch, hands held in eachother's when a certain bunch of ninjas waltzed into the house, causing Itachi to pull five or so shuriken from virtually nowhere and they each hit the floor near each person's foor.

"It's good to see you all again." Akira said sarcastically, since Itachi wanted to be rude. She smacked his thigh. Indira's attention was brought to the people now standing inside their house.