Chapter Twenty-Three: Perched in a Tree.

This trip is going to be difficult for the both of us; if not physically, mentally.

~~~

We've been walking for hours and I can feel my eyelids become heavier. I want to sleep but there's the issue that Itachi and I are criminals returning to a place that was once our home. Konoha has some strong ninjas. They have the nine-tails Jinchūriki, the most valuable weapon of all. That's something they will want to keep, and will kill themselves in battle with us to protect him. The last thing I want to do is be caught.

"How do you suppose we infiltrate the Leaf?" I look up to my equally tired partner.

"We don't." What? What have I been thinking this whole time, then?

"What do you mean, "We don't?"" This is certainly something I wasn't expecting, but it could be safer than just strolling into the village gates and snatching the Jinchūriki up by it's shirt collar.

"We had a Zetsu clone infiltrate for us. We will wait outside of the village gates for the Jinchūriki." This got me thinking. Who is this Jinchūriki? What kind of a person am I looking for here?

"What do you know about it? The Jinchūriki, I mean."

"The Akatsuki have been gathering information on him for several months. He's our next target. His name is Naruto Uzumaki. He seems to have a hyperactive personality."

"Yeah? We shouldn't miss him, then." Just as I'm about to turn to walk toward the village, Itachi grabs me by the waist, stopping my movement. I shoot him a confused look, prompting him to explain himself. Not that I don't mind his touch.

"Among the things Zetsu discovered, Naruto and his teammates will be going on a mission, and this is their path." Itachi pointed in the opposite direction that I was going. I nodded, and Itachi pulled me closer to him and started walking in the correct direction.

~~~

Itach sits in a tree, while I lay on a seperate branch awaiting the arrival of this Naruto kid. As I begin to doze off, I can hear a few voices I look up to see Itachi could hear them, too. I sat up and we both watched as 3 kids and a man sat down across the path from us and began eating.

"Oh, Kakashi-Sensei I'm glad you decided to bring us ramen! I ate mine before I left this morning." A blonde kid stated as he sat in between a pink-haired girl and a silver-hairer man.

"We need to eat something before we continue our journey." The silver-headed man stated plainly as he took a bite of ramen while the kids weren't paying attention. He's got a black mask that covers half of his face, a mask only worn by..

"Is that.." I said to myself.

"Kakashi Hatake." Itachi finished my statement.

"Naruto, you idiot! Come prepared next time!" The girl punched the blonde kid, who I assume to be Naruto Uzumaki. "Right Sasuke?" Sasuke? Sasuke Uchiha. He isn't here, is he?

Sasuke Uchiha walked out from behind the shadows of the trees, holding a cup of ramen.

I look up to the branch Itachi was on, to see him visiblt tense up. In an attempt to comfort him, I grab his hand and squeeze it, which he did back. Maybe I don't have to face my family just yet, but that's something I can't say for Itachi right now.