Chapter Fifty-Eight: Comfortable

He cupped my face in his hands, and kissed me. His lips were soft. I had to stand on my tip-toes so he didn't have to lean down. I forgot how nice it was to kiss him.

"You're perfect." He released the kiss and tapped my forehead.

Maybe being in Konoha wouldn't be so bad, at least not with Indira and Itachi by my side.

---

After I got my bearings on the layout of the house, I decided that one of the bedrooms upstairs would be Indira's. Both of the upstairs bedrooms were roughly the same size, so I wouldn't have to worry about switching her to a bigger one once she got older. The room had a twin-sized bed in the corner and a dresser. It could be decorated to Indira's liking later on.

Itachi and I took the master bedroom. The room had the same barren decor as Indira's, the bed being king-sized was the only exception. The bathroom was a good size, the best part being the huge bathtub, which had a built-in shower.

I carried Indira up to her room, careful not to wake her. I made sure she was comfortable and threw a blanket over her. I stood there and watched her peacefully sleep for a few minutes, thinking.

There was a point in my life where I never thought I'd have a daughter. There was a point where I thought I'd never see Itachi again. Looking back, those memories seem so distant, almost fake. I kept thinking, and before I knew it my face was hot with tears. I kissed Indira's forehead lightly, before heading back downstairs.

I looked in the living room briefly before realizing Itachi was in the kitchen. I joined him, snaking my arms around his waist.

"Hey," I said. I breathed in the scent of his back, which still smelled like the old house. "What're you doing?" I asked. He lightly held my hands.

"I'm just looking around. The refrigerator is empty, which I expected. There's kitchenware here, though." He released his hands, and I pulled away.

"I see." Itachi turned to face me. I looked him in his eyes. He stepped closer to me and leaned down to meet my eye level and took my face in his hands. His eyes looked caring, and his gaze was soft.

"Have you been crying, Love? Your eyes are red," I looked away for a second, embarrassed. "You can tell me." He stroked my cheek gently.

"No," I hesitated. "Well, I was-- but don't be worried. I was just thinking about the past and I got too caught up." I spoke.

Itachi kissed the top of my head. And took my hand. He guided me to the couch and sat me down.

"You don't have to worry about what's happened in the past. We're here now, and that what's important." He said. I smiled.

"You're right. Thank you for always being here for me." Itachi sat down next to me. I leaned my head on to his shoulder.

The rooms cool atmosphere changed with the way Itachi talked and moved next to her. My heart beat out of my chest. The empty walls could become a canvas for memories and the stiff air will become warm again.

"You and Indira are the most important people to me. I love you." I said. I studied his face. He hadn't changed much since I found him on my doorstep yet he seemed so different. His lips curled into a tender smile. He looked back. He leaned into me and cupped my face in his hands. They were warm and comforting. He kissed me. It was chaste and familiar.

"I love you more than you could imagine." He whispered into my ear, before tucking my hair behind it.