Chapter Twenty-Two: Returning.

"He's much strong than you would think." He prompted me to sit down in the love seat next to him, Kisame returned to the couch, while Tobi slowly crept from the shadows of the kitchen.

There's no getting used to these people, I swear.

~~~

"Itachi, we've been summoned by Pain for a mission." Why are we going in a mission together? No idea. Don't get me wrong, I was happy that I don't have to go with Samichi or the blue guy, Kisame.

Itachi slowly got up from his bed, and made his way to where I was at the door's threshold. His arm snaked around my waist as he led me to the meeting place. The way Itachi held me have me a sense of warmth that only he could make me feel, like a shell no one could possibly penetrate.

~~~

"The both of you are familiar with the Hidden Leaf and it's security, and will be gathering intel on the nine-tails Jinchūriki. Failure will not be tolerated." Perfect, the last place I want to take a stroll down the streets of; my former home, Konohagakure.

I spoke to the man, "Understood."

"You should leave immediately. Dismissed." His chilled voice could send shivers down the spine and strike fear into anyone's eyes.

With those words, Pain had disappeared, gone to wherever he resides.

Already having my Poisoned Blade, and Itachi being a master of genjutsu, we were ready to go immediately. 

~~~

I took a sip from the water I had brought and let out a strained sigh.

The very last place I of us wanted to be is the Leaf Village. I'm sure I could speak for Itachi, too. Even after all these years, he isn't ready to watch Sasuke fighting with his own emotions; not able to.

And me, I can't face my parents. I can't bear to watch their sadness, quietly begging for their 'little girl' to give them an explanation. To be able to come home; give them a small smile, kiss her frail old mother on the cheek.

That's all they wanted. Their daughter.

Something they can't have.

"Itachi," His onyx eyes drifted to meet my Hazel ones, giving me his attention.

"I-I.. don't want to go back." I look down at my feet, not wanting to look Itachi in the eyes. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. He didn't need to say it; his sad eyes told it all;

I don't either. It's the very thing that I'm completely terrified of.

I know, Itachi. I know. 

~~~

Each step we took, my feet felt heavier and heavier. I could easily take out ninjas upon ninjas, but I can't face my former home, where I was raised and loved.

"Akira, we will be okay. You forget who you are." Itachi said giving me a warm smile. He's right; I can't let my past cloud my judgement.

"You're right, Itachi. I'm Akira Hattori, I'm a master with my blade! I'm quick as hell! I'm the girlfriend of Itachi Uchiha, I can do this." I hyped myself up, earning a chuckle from my partner.

"You too Itachi. I know you can do it. You did what you needed to do to ensure the safety of village and Sasuke." I grabbed his arm and pulled it around my shoulder and pushed myself to his side.

This trip is going to be difficult for the both of us; if not physically, mentally.