Chapter Thirty-Eight: Day One

"Thank you, Deidara. For being there for Akira. But you should be going soon. Pain may get angry." With a few last goodbyes, Deidara and Samichi were gone.

~~~

At the first step into our home, I was bombarded with the smell of dust. How pleasant. I had Itachi put together baby necessities after we'd taken them apart to get here like the cradle, stroller, and smaller things. I put her to sleep on my old bed for the time being. She was easy to put to sleep, thank god. I put her bottle of formula on the nightstand and walked into the living room to see Itachi hard at work. He turned around to see me walking towards him.

"Hello, Love. Indira's asleep already?" He asked.

"Yeah, she must have been tired." I pull Itachi to me and give him a quick kiss before going to the kitchen. We're both pretty tired and hungry. I open the fridge to see that we had no food. Which, I guess, is a good thing considering anything would have rotted and become a huge mess, and I would not clean something like that. The bad part being, of course, we don't have anything to eat. I sigh out loud. I turn around to see Itachi back at work on the cradle.

"Itachi, we have a problem," I closed the fridge. "We don't have any food." Itachi furrowed his brow and walked toward the fridge. I moved out of the way and he open the fridge to see the same barren shelves that I did.

"That is a problem. How will we eat?" He closed the fridge once more and sat down at the dining table.

"Beats me... I didn't think this through." I took a seat across from the Uchiha to think out our options. I suppose this is our first hurdle to jump as a new family. Itachi leaned across the table and poked my forehead, causing a warm blush to spread across my cheeks.

"We'll get through this..." He said as he summoned a crow messenger. Itachi scribbled some words on a scroll and strapped it to the bird. He mumbled the word "go," and the bird flew out a window I had opened the get rid of the dusty smell.

"Where's it going?" I asked.

"To the hideout. The scroll is asking Deidara to send us something to eat," Itachi moved beside me and put a hand on mine, followed by intertwining his fingers in my fingers. "My guess is, they'll be here by 6am tomorrow morning. We should get some rest until then." Itachi stood me up and led me to our room.

"You're right." I said, Itachi shooshed me. Itachi had been treating me much gentler since I had Indira, but that'll probably pass. He's always been close with Sasuke, like a third parent. It was fun as a child to play with Sasuke along with Itachi. I do miss being in the village with my family, Sasuke, and Itachi. I want my parents to be able to meet their grandchild, and Sasuke his niece.

Maybe some day, those things will be able to happen.

For now, Itachi and I are completely exhausted, and need to sleep. We each lay on either side of Indira, being sure to keep our space so we don't hurt her until we finish her crib. We quickly fell asleep.

I was having a nice night until I heard the soft whimpers of Indira and Itachi quieting her. I peek to a chair in the corner of the bedroom to see Itachi rocking Indira as she drank from a bottle.

He smiled down to her and kissed her forehead. I don't think he saw me, and I fell asleep happy that Itachi was happy and Indira was safe.