Jobs and screams

I light up my spear which is speckled with potential splinters and chuck it onto the bonfire to light the bloody thing up. Gally or someone must of built it earlier. The night is cool but the fire makes all the difference. I look at the fire, now glowing and gnawing away at the wood. I rub my hands together and place them facing the bonfire to warm them up.

I get poked. "Hm?" I say.

The hand that poked me pointed behind me. I turned around dubiously. I see Tegan who's changed into some fresh clothes. She's wearing a baby blue t-shirt which she's put a hair bobble at one corner and tied it up to make a crop top. It shows off her flat, pale stomach. She wears super skinny black jeans and dark brown walking boots. Her hair is tied up into a messy bun and she scrapes a loose piece of hair to behind her ears looking at me smiling. Blushing.

"Tegan." "Newt" We say simultaneously.

She giggles and I grin.

"You said you'd speak to me about jobs? Didn't you?" Tegan asks politely.

"Oh right yeah sorry." I walk towards her and beckon her to walk with me.

Already people are eating food and laughing and joking with each other in the golden light of the fire.

"So," I pause, catching my breath, "Here we have the med-jacks: Clint and Jeff. They are sort of like our doctors. They bandage any wounds and stuff." I say nodding to the boys sitting my the fire messing around.

Clint is dark skinned with black short hair. He has light blue eyes and freckles around his nose. Jeff is sitting next to him, his head on Clint's shoulder. Jeff is also dark skinned but has light brown hair that is so short he almost looks bald.

"And stuff." Tegan comments. She looks at Clint and Jeff and sees them more clearly obviously, "They a couple?" She asks.

"Yeah." I say, "Jeff was first out of the two and three months later Clint came. They fancied each other five months and a half after they met and by the time that greenie came after six months they were dating. They been here over a year now. Before Jeff came they were no med-jacks. Any bloody person mopped up wounds."

Tegan nods and smiles happily as we continue walking around the burning fire.

"Least you got 'em when you did."

"There's some sloppers. Sloppers is the lowest job at the Glade. These are people who can't do any jobs who just clean stuff or do little trivial things no one else would." I say in an annoyed tone.

If some - not all - of them actually tried then they could.

"Who are they?" Tegan asks me pointing to some boys sat quietly in the corner, their heads faced downwards.

"Baggers. They bag up any dead bodies. They also act as a kind of police," I say quietly. "Stay away from them, for me?" I whisper into Tegan's ear, my hot breath sends a shiver down her.

I pull away and smile at her. We carry on walking. I see Minho eating some bacon sat down with Ben on a log bench and nod to them. Ben grunts but Minho waves slowly. Other boys then sit down to join them.

"Over there are the runners. They are the strongest and the fastest of us all. Everyday when that door opens they run the maze. Mapping it. Memorizing it. They return before the maze doors close and they ought to and all." I say, a shiver runs down my spine.

"Grievers." Tegan says quietly, nodding to the closed doors.

"Yeah. Extremely dangerous. No greenie has ever been a runner in their first two months. None of us want to be a runner. We are chosen. I wanted to be one and I was one, or a while..." I let my voice trail into the darkness.

Tegan squeezes my hand then continues to hold it. I shucking love when we hold hands. I feel the electricity courses through my veins.

"Your limp...?" She whispers.

I pull a sad face and she drops the subject.

Thank shuck.

"Who decides if you are a runner or not?" Tegan asks me nudging me gently.

"Minho and Gally. Minho is the Keeper of the run-" Before I can finish I get interrupted.

"Of the runners. Yes, yes I know." Tegan says whilst laughing at my face.

I laugh too. I realise we're still holding hands, (which I'm so glad about).

"Gally is a builder. The Keeper of the builders. You can tell what they do can't you?"

Tegan smiles and agrees with me and tells me she is not that stupid.

"I mean I know it's hard to believe but urh, not that stupid."

"You're not stupid at all." I whisper into her brown eyes as we've drawn to a halt by the roaring golden flames.

"I am." She says edging closer to me.

"Newt!" Frypan yells.

Tegan walks back round to my side abruptly. Her cheeks flushed a sweet strawberry red.

Was... Was... We about to kiss?

Me and Tegan I mean. Not Frypan. Anyway we walk towards Frypan holding hands with Tegan still.

"Yeah? What?" I answer, really pissed off that we could have kissed but didn't.

Ugh.

"You need to let Tegan try bacon?" He says excitedly.

At that exact moment Chuck walks past us, his mouth full of bacon. He looks likes he's going to choke. But he's happy. Good. He sees me and Tegan holds hands and he winks at Tegan and put his thumbs up to me. Oh god. Chuck carries on walking and goes to Minho and Ben.

"Ya I'll try bacon." Tegan says calmly.

She gets handed a plate with bacon, as do I. This means she let's go of my hand. Again. And again, it feels empty. And again, that electricity has gone.

"Mmmmmmmhhhmhmhm." Tegan gorges.

I laugh. Frypan looks at me and nods. I don't know why though.

"Come on let's sit down. Here, let's lean against this dry log." I suggest and Tegan nods, "Ladies first." I murmor as she hands me her plate as she sits down heavily.

She's not very ladylike. I laugh whilst sitting down and hand Tegan her plate back.

"Why you laughing Newtie?" Tegan questions me, acting all mock serious and angry.

"You. You're not very ladylike are you?" I laugh.

She mocks being offended, puts her plate on the log and pretends to get up in a huff. I put my plate down quickly and grab her by her arm and yank her back down. She ends up on top of me. We're both laughing and screaming in the hilarity of it. Tegan then sits up and is at on my lap. Right up close to my chest. Either she wants to be close to me or she doesn't want to put too much pressure on my bad leg at the bottom. It'll be the second option. No one could ever like me.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Chuck's shrill, high pitch voice rings out in pain.

I'm up like a shot. Chuck is all the way at the other side of the Glade now, near his hammock under the shelter.

"Stay here." I say forcefully to Tegan.

Dun dun dunnnnn!