"A girl?!?!"

The last year and seven months have been painfully long. Me and Alby were right about every month a new boy will be hauled in the lift with an assortment of supplies. And Alby stayed true to his word, I am second in charge. I'm respected as I've been in the Glade for over a year, one of the surviving, original boys but I'm also the understanding guy, the guy everyone comes to if they have questions or need help. I'm the glue. I get what that means now. I bound everyone together and I keep it like that. I unite people. Our last new greenie, (Chuck), is ten, the youngest lad to be sent into the Glade yet. Today the new greenie comes. I'm excited. We've got a system here at the Glade. Everyone has a role. Like our builders, good with their hands but not a lot going on upstairs. Or track-hoes etc. I'm hoping for another med-jack though, (so like a doctor). As for not escaping for the last hellish one year and seven months all the gladers and I have tried every way imaginable to escape the maze. No luck yet. The only escape is through the maze, unfortunately. I still want to leave this place though. Let's just say I tried to kill myself. Didn't work obviously. But I don't speak about that. Not every boy that came up that lift has survived. We've lost a lot of boys to fear, panic. Or they have been stung by the grievers. They inject you and infect you. That person who has been stung goes through what we call 'the changing'. They go psycho and tries to kill everyone and infect us. We therefore - to save everyone - have to banish the infected boy to the maze when the doors close at night. They belong to the maze then.

I'm now hearing the familiar clanging and then a crash of the lift. Good. It's a bit late this time. As I'm walking towards the lift. The boys are all crowded around it. Waiting for me. Alby likes to wait for me before someone goes and collects the new greenie. This time that person is Gally.

Gally is a rock-solid, strapping lad of eighteen. His eyes are stone grey, his voice deep and powerful. His hair short and spikey, wheat-coloured. Gally is fair-skinned and very stocky. He is buff and his role is a builder. Though he's smart. He was the boy to come after me. Even though he's older and more strong and powerful than me I'm still second in command and he respects that and listens to me. Though if you don't know Gally then he seems not that approachable.

Gally jumps down into the lift heavily. Then a piercing scream rings out. Not Gally's but a girl's scream. Shit. A girl's scream. Winston looks confused. Chuck looks like all his Christmas' has come at once. Alby looks curious but also shocked. Frypan looks tired. And Gally? Gally looks absolutely fuming.

"What the hell?! It's a girl!" Gally roars.

"Gally, calm your ass down," Frypan yells over the racket that Gally is determined to make.

"Gally bring the greenie girl up. Winston, Frypan get the supplies. Chuck come here." Alby says calmly and quickly.

Gally hauls up the now screaming girl and slams her on the floor with such a force it makes everyone jump. Another piercing scream yells out. A scream of pain. I'm onto Gally like a bullet.

"Gally!" I bellow angrily.

I walk up to him and punch him straight in the face hard, knocking the log of the lad to the floor.

"Don't you dare do that again you shuck-faced shank!" I scream, even more outraged than I was before.

I look over at the now injured girl lying crumpled on the floor in a heap. Everyone had already stopped when Gally chucked the girl down. I am taken aback for a second or two. This girl is absolutely the most beautiful girl ever. She has long, luscious blonde hair. Down to past her amazing big bum. (Not that I'm looking! Sheesh)! She has big, brown eyes with a golden fringe above it. I'm snapped back into reality again.

God, what the shucking hell just happened then?

I lean in to see how her breathing is. She then reacts, she grabs my cautious hand that was feeling her heartbeat between her large breasts, (as I'm now crouched down on the floor with her), and she starts turning it around curiously. She starts feeling my upper arms, my abs. I smile to myself, she has no idea what she's doing at the minute. The girl then traces the scars on my neck and I pull away then. She doesn't like that. She grabs the back of my shortish blonde hair and pulls me back but closer, she looks at me straight in the eyes.

It feels strange... Nope. Don't even consider this Newt. She's just pretty that's all.

I'm now back to myself.

Shut down.

Isolated.

Dead inside.

The girl then closes her eyes gradually and realises her hand of the back of my head. We all step back to figure out what to do next with her. Five minutes pass then suddenly this greenie girl springs up and makes a dash for it. She's really fast, I'll give her that. I run as fast as lightning to catch her up but she's already on the top of the wooden lookout tower that was built two and a half years ago. There's yelling and screeching and swearing. The girl then decides to start throwing heavy objects at us from above. We have to dodge out the way or be knocked out. We carry wooden slabs to protect ourselves from concussion.

Then Gally's voice rings out deep: "If you throw another shucking-" Gally didn't finish as she just chucked a heavy metal tool at him that hit him straight in the temple.

I have an idea how to sort this mess out. I look at Alby. He nods. He has the same idea as me.

"It's me. I'm the boy that you starting feeling my abs!" I yell.

The screaming abuse and screeching for help finally subsides. There's a pause from the girl. And I get a snigger from Winston and a wink from Minho. I put my fingers up jokingly at Winston and mouth: Shuck off to Minho, whilst smiling.

Winston is a lean boy of fifteen, the youngest of us all until Chuck arrived last month. This young bean has proved himself and become the Keeper of the Slicers. Don't even ask what that is. Winston has dark wild hair with mossy green eyes. He is skinny but he's got muscles.

Minho, however, is different. He has black longer hair that spikes up on top. Very thick, not exactly long. He's got thin slits of eyes and big cheeks that make a toothy grin whenever he smiles cheekily. He says he thinks he was Chinese before the maze, possibly Japanese. Me? I'm British - I think.

"Go away!" A girl's voice answers abruptly.

"I'm, I'm coming up!" I answer, determined still.

I start climbing up quickly and nimbly, (yes, even with my limp), before she changes her mind. When I reach the top and unlatch the trap door the girl is glaring at me and she's holding a macheti which is pointed at me also.

"Bloody hell." I say surpised. Then I compose myself and say: "What'd ya doing up here then?" I say walking away from her with my legs dangling over the edge, my head still facing her.

"Getting away from a tribe of dipshit lads who have somehow kidnapped me and stolen my memories!" She says passionately.

"We're not trying to harm you ya know," I roll my eyes. "And we hant kidnapped you, and tribe? Nah, we're more like a band of brothers - with a sort of sister now of course." I nod to her.

"Why can't I remember anything?" She questions coming to join me but standing up instead looking far out into the horizon. The gloomy horizon.

"We remember nothing when we first enter the Glade, our name and age comes to us though - in a couple days time." I say calmly. Looking up at the girl greenie from my cross-legged sitting position.

"I'm Tegan. Pronounced Tee-gan. I'm sixteen." She says suddenly.

Then she jumps off the top of the lookout tower, lands on her feet like a badass feline. And runs and runs and runs. Until... She faceplants the soft, green grass and knocks herself out cold for a couple of hours.