Stung in the day

Tegan's POV

"Winston," I say whilst feeding an exciteable pig, "Why did Newt looked so alarmed when I was looking into the maze?" I ask curiously.

A small smile creeps onto Winston's face.

"He cares about you. He was worried. Probably still is." Winston says wisely and simply.

"He don't care about me. I'm just a burden to him that he's had to take on." I say quietly.

Winston turns me to face him, both arms outstretched and hands gripping my shoulders.

"Slint it Tegan, I know Newt, I saw the way he been looking at you all yesterday. He fancies the pants off you."

I chuckle. Deja vù.

"That's exactly what Minho said the other day."

He and I chuckle in unison.

"That's Minho for you. Listen Tegan, we are best friends aren't we?"

Yesterday me and Winston really got on, (in a friendly way), and we both laughed heaps and decided that we are best friends.

"Yeah we are dude." I say.

"Dude? You sound like a right chav lass." He pauses, "Believe me, I'm telling you the truth duck."

I can feel myself blushing and Winston gives me a big hug and we continue to feed the livestock. Two hours later I'm told by Winston I need to try out all the different jobs so I'm sent to the kitchen to see Frypan.

"Sass-squash!" Frypan yells in delight when I walk into his kitchen that smells of yesterday's delicious bacon.

"Sass-squash?"

Frypan tells me the story of him and Newt yesterday when I heard them laughing like maddmen.

"You had to be there with me and Newt." He says, wiping happy tears away with the back of his hand.

Three hours pass and I haven't even realised. Frypan has taught me how to cook five basic Glade meals and he has even French-plaited my hair after ten minutes of cooking. We've laughed and giggled so much. At the moment I'm chopping onions and Frypan is stirring some sort of pastry mixture and in his own little world.

"We get on like a kitchen on fire!" I declare.

"FIRE?! WHERE?" Frypan screams having only half payed attention to my words.

I explain what I said laughs uncontrollably. He then says I need to go to Gally and that I'll be the death of him.

"Gally."

"Tegan."

"Minho." Minho jogs by us alone and says that with a grin on his face, mocking us and the seriousness.

Me and Gally burst out laughing.

"So." I say when ice calmed down a bit.

"Trying out the jobs?" Gally asks kindly, any trace of bad feelings vanished.

"Yep. You're a builder aren't you?" I question.

Gally stands taller, proud and nods. We get to work immediately. Me and Gally start making a new contraption to make the washing of clothes easier by the lake along with the other builders. Gally is the smartest of them all. I mean, they all are amazing with their hand's but are not very intelligent.

"Hey Gally," I say out of the blue.

"Yeah greenie?"

"Where's Newt? I haven't seen him for a bit around the Glade?"

Gally just shakes his head.

"Go find him then. I know you wanna." He says smugly.

I wonder round for five minutes round the Glade and I don't see Newt. I wander into the forest, trying to find my way to Newt's tent. I'm lost though. I turn around, thinking I'll retrace my steps. Suddenly I see a dark figure standing alone, huffing and puffing like some big bad wolf, and this time I'm the three little pigs all rolled into one. He moves out of no where right up close to me. It startles me.

"Jeez Ben," I take a moment to take in Ben's bloodshit eyes, his body soaked in sweat and mud and a little blood. I look at his face, all scrunched up to form a ferocious face. "What's up Ben?" I ask cautiously, not quite sure of what is going on.

Ben growls at me angrily and I take a couple of steps backwards.

"You!" Ben growls.

"Me?" I exclaim.

That's when Ben absolutely lunges at me, knocking me off my feet. He clambers on top of me pinning me down. He shouts, deafening me in the process all while spraying spit into my face.

"GET OFF ME!" I scream, but we're in the middle of the woods and I doubt we have been heard.

Ben starts digging his nails in my lower arms that sends pain all up my arms. I notice his blue veins are popping out violently on Ben's skin. I know something is wrong, very wrong now. Ben hears a bird or something which gets him distracted momentarily. I take this opportunity to push him off me and get up run. I run like the wind, like lightening, like Usain Bolt. I sense Ben is following me yelling abuse. I'm now at the edge of the Glade and people are running towards us.

"SOMEONE HELP! HELP ME! NEWT! WINSTON! MINHO! GALLY! FRYPAN! CHUCK! AL-" I scream at the top of my lungs now in the centre of the Glade.

I'm cut off because Ben pounced on me and starting punching me repeatedly in the face and chest. All of a sudden a rusty metal shoval comes in my eyesight and thrashes Ben in the head. Knocking him off me. I sit up, breathing heavily. All my face and chest sticky with blood. I can already feel the bruises form.

"Lift his shirt! Lift his shirt!" Alby commands over the ruckas.

Ben's eye's go from pure hatred and anger to pure fear. Gally yanks Ben's shirt up and we see a stab wound in his stomach, we see all the veins popping out in dark navy blue and vibrant violet.

"He's been stung." Minho whispers like he can't believe it.