A promise made

Newt's POV

"Promise you'll never do that again Newt?" Tegan ask darkly and quietly.

"I could never, I've got you and I've got you back now." I say softly.

"Newt shucking promise me you won't?!"

She's getting more and more anxious about it by the second as we walk slowly to her peaceful tent. This isn't healthy for her. I'm really starting to get worried about her seriously bad.

"Promise." I say to ease her mind, I mean it too, "I'm so sorry by the way."

"For what?" Tegan asks confused as she undos her tent latch.

Tegan then gracefully like an angel makes her way to her made bed with it's colour already going all dull. Like a beckoning, graceful angel she motions for me to sit down next to her on the bed so I sit down with our legs touching each other's side by side.

I clasp her hands then explain myself: "For jumping, I'm sorry. I know you saw it. You would have felt indescribable sitting there, not able to do anything because of my selfishness." I say guiltily.

"Newt, I didn't think you were selfish, still don't and never will. In fact I think you're incredibly selfless. You're always checking to see if I'm okay, or if I need anything. Every Glader looks up to you. They come to you if they need any help or advice."

"No-"

"Nah nah nah now Newtie, listen to Teegs. As I was saying I thought and think that you're one of the bravest people I know. I mean, look at you now: living, fighting, still kicking. Yeah, you have a limp, but so what? It hasn't stopped you and it won't. It's a battle scar. You're right, it was indescribable but I won't witness it again, neither will Thomas or Win or anyone else for that matter. You've won the battle."

"But I haven't the war."

She scowls and blows upwards to move and adjust her golden fringe out of brown, large eye's, "You will. We will. Thomas, Minho, Winston, Gally, Frypan, Chuck, Clint, Jeff, Max, Ricky, Quinn, Devin, Ed, Emmanuel and all the rest will. We will stick together. No man - nor me as I'm female-"

"Really? I hadn't noticed?"

"Newt shut the shuck up you sound like bloody Minho. Anyway, no person will be left behind."

I grin and she bites her top lip, looking at me straight in the eyes, boring a hole into my soul. I have no idea how she pulls these faces. I make a mental note to ask her.

"Tell me about before. About before me, before Thomas."

"Well, there was this one time when Max came up he brought up this dreadful thing that haunted the Glade for what seemed like forever. He just pooed and pooed and pooed and pooed every five bloody seconds!" I exclaim at the stinky memory.

Tegan's body is shaking with laughter, "It's called Diarreaha Newtie."

"Again with the Newtie?" I say mock exasperated.

"Again with the Newtie." Tegan mumbles before I kiss her sweetly.

Then I kiss her again. Then again. Tegan then puts her hands rubbing the top of my back then pulls me closer to her whilst kissing and I put my hand's at her lower back gripped together. I love the taste of her lips. I gentle nibble on them before her roughly kissing me. I love her smell, her aroma. Talkative Tegan smells of fresh air, gentle woodsmoke, and Earthy. So now we're basically making out.

"Newt?" Tegan says after a gasp of air five minutes later.

"Yes love?"

"I'm tired."

"Let's get some sleep then." I say simply and I peck her on her weary forehead.

She stands up slowly and pulls my brown tank top off with a cheeky grin and straddles me suddenly sealing the whole deal with a kiss.

"Thought-you sa-said you were ti-ti-tired." I say smirking into a passionate kiss.

"I am." She says simply and jumps up.

My brown eyes follow Tegan to the other side of the tent. I smile to myself, how did I deserve such a gorgeous, strong girl like Tegan to be mine? I take off my dirty jeans and take them towards Tegan who's got no jeans on either. I chuck them in the wash and Tegan chuck's her jeans in the wash too. I walk over to her bed and fluff up the pillow as Tegan takes off my hoodie. Tegan almost skips to me and puts the hoodie under her bed. I raise my eyebrows and she shrugs, seemingly innocent. She then takes off her red tank top.

"You're so beautiful." I say truthfully as Tegan is brushing her long locks. She pffts me and I laugh and stand up behind her, my chest against her back, "You are." I say kissing her neck lightly.

"Come on Romeo." She laughs and swizzles around to face me, "Let's get some shuteye."

I smile and she smiles. This girl is amazing but I fail to convince her how much she means to me, to Tommy, to Minho, to Winston, to Frypan, to Chuck etcetera etcetera. I resolve to make a game plan to improve her self-concept which is self-esteem plus self-image. I jump into bed and she scolds me jokingly for being so energetic. I laugh in her face mocking her because she can really talk can't she? She gets into bed and I budge up to spoon her and she giggles. I laugh and tell her to shut up and she carries on giggling. For the next ten minutes we talk to each other, gentle, quiet, relaxed; but soon enough I hear her soft body rise and lower against my lanky frame and I hear the almost silent, soft snores radiating from my sleeping beauty of a gorgeous and gifted girlfriend. She has so many talents, so many talents wasted. I've never wanted to escape this wretched place more than now - to save us all, to save her, to avenge those who killed themselves, died, were killed. She's got such a life waiting for her, she's stuck here like the rest of us - and like the rest of us we can be so much more.

I wake up momentarily early on in the day due to a light kiss on my forehead and a quiet whisper: "I've got to go but I'll see you just before I map, then when I help serve dinner. Well, you know the rest. I love you."

"Love you too my love." I mumble and Tegan chuckles happily already dressed in her running attire and jogs out of the quiet tent.