Minho and Chuck's plan

Tegan's POV

Newt absolutely runs as fast as he can with every glader there is to where Chuck's scream is... Other than Minho. I get up to go to. I feel a tap on the shoulder from behind. Minho.

"Come sit." He says calmly.

This is weird.

"Shouldn't I...?"

Minho puts his hands up to signal to stop, "You heard what Newt said." He says happily.

"You're being right weird Minho... Why haven't you gone to Chuck?" I say timidly. Then I get my confidence, "You're a runner for a reason aren't you?" I say sarcastically.

He just chuckles. "It was a distraction. Want to talk to you alone shank." Minho says.

What on Earth is a shank?

"Why'd you need a distraction to talk to me alone?" I ask annoyed.

"I'd get smacked by Newt if I did it with him here. Plus, I don't want him to know what I'm gonna say to you shank." Minho says smiling.

"Tell me what's going onnnn" I moan.

"Okay. You like Newt don't ya?"

What?!

I can feel my cheeks blush harshly and very quickly.

"N-no. No!" I stammer stupidly.

"Ha. Yeah right. I can still see you blushing greenie."

Ughhh.

"If I answer that you're gonna tell him. I don't want him to know I fancy him." I whine like a little girl who's asked for a lollipop, and who's mum has said no.

"You do. Knew it shank!" Minho says triumphantly.

"You going to tell him now aren't you?" My face hardens and I say that quietly.

"No," I let out a sigh of relief, "But you should."

"What? No, no no. No." I say quickly.

"Why? He fancies the pants off you anyway."

WHAT?!?!

"He absolutely does not." I say, stunned.

"Tegan, shank, after Newt arrived here at the Glade, Gally came. Then came along little Minho. Little Minho got on great with all three boys, specially Newt. Me and Newt are best friends. That's why we share a tent and Gally and Alby are close too." He catches his breath, "So the point is, I know Newt. And I know he really, really, really likes you. And no, he's not gay. Never have been. No relationships with other gladers." He looks at me excitedly, waiting for my response.

"No he doesn't. He's just being nice."

Minho frowns at me.

"Listen, you are obviously not going to believe me because of your trust issues and low self esteem and anxiety. Probably because of your depression too, but, he's different around you. Gally's noticed it. I've noticed it. Frypan has noticed it. So has Alby and Winston. He's admitted it to Chuck and all, Newt that is. You know, that he like likes you."

Suddenly Chuck comes bounding towards us with an enormous grin on his face.

"How are you back already?" Minho asks as Chuck sits down on my left as Minho is on my right.

"They started to figure it out, well those who didn't know - like Newt. Before they realised I legged it. They'll be back in five minutes. Led them right deep into the forest." Minho nods.

My mouth hangs open. Minho laughs heartily when he sees me and taps my chin to notion to shut my gob.

"Ah. Tell greenie what Newt said to you." Minho commands simply as if he's a fairy godmother commanding my prince to save me.

I imagine Minho in a sparkly dress with wings and heels with sequins on for a minute. All decked out in pale, sweet sugar colours. I giggle. Minho however starts eating Newt's bacon that he never got chance to finish.

"Newt said: Promise you won't tell? And I nodded vigorously. Then Newt continued and said: Ugh, I admit it. I've got a shucking crush. Happy now? That's what he said to me. Minho and I are actually telling you the truth ya know." Chuck says slowly so that I could take in all that information.

I shake my head.

"She's in denial that Newt fancies her. But guess what?" Minho pauses for dramatic effect, "She fancies NEWT!" Minho enunciates that last word.

"No I'm not in denial and yes I do have a major crush in Newt but, so what? Why would anyone ever fancy me? Why would Newt fancy me? Look, I'm just being realistic." I say standing up, hands on my hips.

Before the lads can speak Newt comes rushing up to my side and grips my hand firmly. Newt does this that energetic, it's almost as if he thinks he has to protect me. I can handle myself but I'm glad he did this.

"Minho. Chuck. Come here." Alby says sweetly but with a sour look on his face.

Chuck looks timid and Minho looks chilled. They fulfilled their mission.

Out of nowhere a load of clanging and banging starts. I hear a blood-curling screech that no mortal is possible of making. Makes me jump though. Newt sees this and reacts. Especially when I start shaking.

"Just calm down alright?" He says gently but firmly.

My heartbeat slows and my shaking stops. He calms me instantly. I don't know how but I love him for it.

Love?!

"Hey, hey you. It's just the maze changing. Changes every night. And that screech was a griever. Remember me telling you?" He asks me kindly.

I stare into his dark dreamy eyes and I'm lost. I'm on another planet.

"Ur-"

"Tegan?" Newt says, I hear the worry and concern in his voice and it breaks my heart.

"Hm?" I say to his eyes.

"I'm staying with you tonight." He declares.

"What?" I say, confused.

He edges nearer me. Our bodies are almost touching.

"You're obviously don't like what just happened. We often hear this throughout the nights. I just don't want anything - like earlier - to happen again when you're alone. I'll be worried about you so I won't sleep." He whispers into my ear.

I feel his hot breath on my neck. It sends a shiver down my whole body that I can't control.

"Why do you worry about me?" I ask.

"Why do I make you nervous hmm?" He says confidently.

He obviously is winding me up. It true though. He does. He makes me feel like a dangerous woman. Like I'm capable of anything when I'm with him.

"Okay. Okay. You can." I laugh into him.

He pulls me into a hug. We rock together.

"Hey Teegs," I swear to god my heart fucking just melted.

"Yeahhh...?" I say into Newt's shirt.

"I'm going to let Alby know about tonight."

I nod into him, "Okay, I'm going to go talk to some other Gladers that I haven't real spoken to yet." I say warmly.

"See you later, Teegs." Is his response.

He let's go of me slowly and walks to Alby. I hear music been made by other gladers. I run and grab Chuck.