The guinea pig

"You missed breakfast sleepyboy." Tommy says after hitting me awake, "What did you do last night that you're this tired?"

"Shuck off ya bloody idiot." I laugh with him, "Made out, talked, slept." I say sitting up rubbing my eye's.

"I don't want to know any more." Tommy says pulling a strange face, "Why did I deliberately come to wake up? Oh you're needed, Max and that dude who dared Tegan to fight Gally is about to have a fight verses each other."

I'm up like a bloody shot and changed, "Where?" I question whilst putting my battered boots on.

I limp-run after a much quicker Tommy who's showing me the way.

"You shucking shuck-faced shank!" An outraged Max screams at an equally outraged Quinn.

"You're a shucking shitty keeper! All you do is clean the shucking toilets that we have a klunk in!" Quinn retorts meanwhile Chuck just stands there looking really upset.

"Oi! What the bloody hell is going on here?" I shout over the ruckus.

"Quinn was teasing Chuck and when Chuck stuck up for himself Quinn started having a go at Chuck. Quinn was saying that Chuck useless and a stupid little shank when he's not. How apparently we all pity him, how's he's a fat slinthead. Then I stuck up for Chuck as notably he's upset so Quinn started on me instead. He kept saying that sloppers are actually slackers and we don't do anything for anyone and we're rubbish and klunk basically." Max pants anger flaming in the fiery depths of his dark green eye's.

"Right, for now Max chillout. Take Chuck for some cookies or something to Frypan." I spin round to Quinn, I can feel the anger starting to burn slightly inside me, "As for you, well if you pull another stunt like this I'll throw you into the slammer for further notice, no food apart from midday or something like that until I decide for how long - depending of the severity of your action's."

Quinn just laughs, "That won't do nowt. Sloppers are still useless." He chuckles, pleased with himself.

"Ha, we'll see. If that's your attitude we'll see what Tegan has to say when she's back then."

His smile fades. He's not scared of Tegan and he does like her - even if he was disbelieving she'd fight the wrestling champ Gally. She's earnt her respect from him when she accepted the dare and carried it out. But the boys all love Tegan in one way or another. I mean she's like a older sister/ mum to Chuck. She's a sister - older or younger - to the others and best friend and boyfriend. Quinn's smile only fades as the all the boys are unsure of what Tegan will say about discipline; they know she's extremely moral and honest. They also know how incredibly weird she is, so they are curious and also wary - sort of like me - of what she'll suggest and do. Quinn'll be the first - the guinea pig - for want of a word. I know Tegan will not be impressed about what he said about sloppers and Chuck. I'm actually curious to see what she'll say. With all that now sorted I wonder over to a calmer-looking Max who is talking to Jay - a fellow slopper - who's back from dropping off Chuck for cookies with Frypan. Knowing them two they ran because it's cookies. Cookies.

Oh my gosh I sound like Tegan the way I'm thinking about food.

"Hey, Newt. Thanks for sorting it. I'm calmer now." Max says, "I'm sorry, am I in trouble?"

I smile reassuringly and shake my head and his reaction is that he sighs in relief.

"No no, you're fine. But do me a favour yeah?" Max nods, "Wait for Tegan later on before she's back from the maze. Tell her the second-in-command's opinion and input is needed. And Jay?" Jay nods, "Grab - not literally - Quinn when Max goes and waits for Tegan. Please take him to council hall and also the same for Gally please?"

"Yeah sure." Max smiles.

"Course Newt. By the way mate you're doing a great job man. Everyone was so pleased when you agreed to take Alby's place. You can't replace him but you're the next best thing." Jay says sincerly.

"Yeah! And it's great Tegan is in your old position as we need a girl's perspective and input in this hellhole."

Max had an extremely hard and quite frankly, tough, transition into the Glade. I've already mentioned the Diarreaha bug he brought in not on purpose. So when he did Alby didn't do the usual job and orientation thing/ day as he said he didn't want Max to get stuck in doing the work only to then need to go to the loo. So meanwhile Max just wondered around, helping, fixing, cleaning when he wasn't on the toilet doing his business. So that's how we got the job sloppers and how he is the keeper. We called them sloppers as everyone at some point had really sloppy klunk because of the Diarreaha bug that Max had brought in. So Max and me have a bond over that the place is a hellhole.

"That means a lot guys, thanks." I thank the two males with a genuine smile upon my face.

"Anyway, I got go." They both say simultaneously and laugh about it.

They walk off with each other talking about cleaning Tegan's private bathroom. I've been in - it's very plain but it's decent, it's the best that we've got, although we could request more.

However, WICKED said the trials are almost over.

They could be lying.

Yeah but they've never done that before.

It could be like a placebo or trick or test or sub-experiment.

My feelings are at war with themselves.

But hopefully we will be able to find out new information and a way out. Hopefully. Not tomorrow but the day after Minho and Tegan are going to check out the griever she killed. She's a hero. You don't even know how many boys they've killed. After a while after me some boys came up in pairs. So we sometimes had more than double boys than we, (me and Alby), expected. I miss Alby so much. He was gentle but he could also be harsh and he was the wisest. He only had to be harsh when he had to. Without realising I've walked into the deadheads with thinking of Alby. I spot his gravestone in the distance - well, a makeshift gravestone - and I go and kneel down on the muddy, dead ground. I wipe my eyes that have seemed to glisten wet too.

"Alby? I know you're dead, but I hope you can still hear me. I've come for a chat I suppose." I pause for breath, "Do you think I'm doing okay job here? I'm not tryna replace you and all that klunk but ya get me. Me and Tegan are properly together now, like official. She really is my soulmate. She's an amazing runner Minho says, got decent endurance. The only running I've ever saw her do is - well, what I can remember - is when she ran away from us boys on her first day when she was causing a rampage and attacking us by throwing heavy objects randomly at us. Anyway I better go do some track-hoing, I may be leader but I'll still pull my weight around this place like you did."

So guys what do you think of me book. Wow! Chapter thirty-eight though. Still got a long way to go. Hope it's still interesting. I also hope that you'll continue on with the journey of Tegan and the Gladers. I just love love love writing and yeah I know, not very often but still there is wrong words but I do go over and over chapters so I'm sorry if I don't check everything.