Alby's dead

"Where's Alby?" I ask anyone who's listening.

"Medi-hut. Everyone back to work, keepers, Thomas and Tegan come with me. Let's go guys." Newt commands whilst clapping his hands.

"What's gonna happen to Alby Minho?" I ask him unsure.

"I don't know honestly princess." He replies thoughtfully.

When we get to the medi-hut Alby is laid on a bed, he's strapped down to it. Clint sees my face and tells me it's so he doesn't attack us.

"Alby's not immune. Some of us are, some aren't. I remember sneaking out in my last week and finding out who was and wasn't." I remember and tell,
"There's no cure when I left anyway." I add on.

"So the past year and over seven months have been nothing, meant nothing." Minho says quietly.

I hear an inaudible reply and realise it's coming from Alby who looks like he's in agony. He probably is to be fair.

"Help." I manage to make out.

"Guys he said help." Ed mumbles.

Newt rushes to Alby's side and Alby points to a knife on the table across the room. Newt shakes his head violently, tears welling in his beautiful eyes.

"No Alby." Newt says firmly but his voice cracks.

Alby nods and closes his eyes but screams in absolute agony.

"I want someone watching him twenty-four-seven." Newt commands with a frown on his face.

"I'm here! How's Alby?" Gally shouts bursting in.

"Newt he allowed in?" Jeff asks knowing of Gally's red-hot temper.

"If his ass is calm then yes." Is Newt's response.

Five hours later Alby is dead. Clint and Jeff don't know what happened. They said he probably had some internal trouble with his organs and the changing made them shut down. His funeral is short but sweet. We do it at dusk because we get sent up one set of black clothes each by the creators. It's sickening they are. They trapped us here. They're letting us drop like flies. How is this gonna get a cure for The Flare?! All through the funeral I hold Newt's clammy hands.

"Alby wasn't just an amazing firm but fair leader, he was a friend. My friend. Alby was the first person in the Glade. He spent a month here alone. That must of took guts and determination. He beat the Glade before any of us even turned up. He built the foundations. Alby set the tone. He was kind, understanding but also wise and moral. You were my first friend, my only friend for a month before Minho over there came up. Minho and Tegan I want to say thanks for what you did for Alby. You saved him and let him die around his family: us. Not in a bloody griever-filled maze. Now revelations have happened now that a griever has been killed, so if Alby were here he'd be saying: pick your arse's up and finish what you started." Newt finishes with a florish but his face is glossy from tears.

"You were amazing Newt." I whisper clutching his shaking, sweating hands.

Minho steps up and says something and tells happy or funny stories about Alby at WICKED. After, the rest of the keepers say a little unplanned something then I'm beckoned to do so.

"I have a lot of-urh issues and conditions, and Alby was there to help, to support me and all my craziness. He made me as a greenie feel welcome. Alby was willing to make amendments for me and made sure I got my privacy me being the only girl. Alby was probably for most of us, living or not, the first kind, gentle figurehead we had and who welcomed us into this messed up life. I want to thank you Alby. Thank you." I say sincerely and all the rest of the Gladers copy me, "I knew Alby at WICKED, so did a lot of others. Even some of you may just not remember like me, Minho, Win and Fry. But Alby will always be with us." I finish off with.

We finish off the funeral and everyone walks to the homestead for a meeting other than Emmanuel who's carving Alby's name on a gravestone and then to carve into Alby's name in the wall.

"Attention." Newt yells.

I don't really speak much until the end of the meeting.

"Newt's in charge now." Max states.

"Alby would have wanted you to be mate." Minho says gently and Newt nods accepting his new position.

"What about second-in-command?" Ricky asks from next to me.

"Well-" Newt starts.

"I think Tegan should be. She works well with Newt and she's got the leadership skills. She's brave, respected, witty, fair, compassionate. Plus we could do with a girl's advice around here and with Tegan being second-in-command then she can do so." Frypan says loudly and it seems everyone agrees.

"Favouritism." A dude named Quinn says who's a builder buddy of Gally.

"No Quinn, we've stared our reasons and ninety-nine point nine percent agrees so... Anyway, I don't see you with a vagina. No uterus, no opinion." Minho sasses savagely at the dumbfounded builder boy.

"Disbanded." Newt announces.

Boys come to congratulate me and encourage me with friendly comments and tight hugs.

"Time to go Tegan." Gally mutters from behind me.

He then walks out so I follow him to the pit to which I'll be spending the night in.

"Gally, the Glade has changed you hasn't it?" He ignores me, "You've developed a bit of a mean streak." I point out then jump into the filthy pit.

An hour later a light looks as if it's walking to the pit I'm in and I see little Chuckie at the bars blocking anyone from escaping.

"Hey Chuckie." I mumble from the corner of the pit.

"Are you mad at Newt?" He asks out of the blue.

"No course not. I don't care if I'm down here. He's got to be fair. He's the one who put me in here, because I broke the rules and I accept that. I don't want to loose the guy's respect and neither does Newt. It's good he's doing this still. Even to his girlfriend." I say breezily.

"I smuggled some food with Thomas' help."

I thank him as he passes down the basic food that Fry whipped up as we were all late eating.

"Mmmhhhnmm." I say with my mouth full and Chuck just chuckles happily and wishes me a good night and walks off to bed himself.