Chapter-6

Shivaay kept smiling and humming a random song as he kneaded the dough for aloo puri, while his brothers looked on with their mouths hanging open.

"O, pinch me," Rudra whispered to Om, who was standing beside him, out of earshot of Shivaay.

"Why?" Om whispered back, not moving his eyes from Shivaay.

"Because, I must be dreaming. I mean, it can't be possible that Shivaay bhaiya, Shivaay Bhaiya, is smiling without any reason, and humming the tune of Tum Hi Ho!"

"Yeah, I can't believe it either, but it's true," Om said while grinning. "And, it seems that we'll be seeing a LOT of these kinds of behavior from Shivaay from now on!"

"I hope so!" Rudra said excitedly.

"Are you both just going to stand there or help me make lunch?" Shivaay asked them suddenly, once he was brought out of his reverie. Om and Rudra scooted closer to him with teasing grins. Taking a deep breath, Rudra beamed.

"Mhmm, this smells good bhaiya! I'm sure Annika didi will love it!"

"I sure do hope so," Shivaay mumbled with a smile, not realizing what his brothers were up to. Om and rudra's eyes widened.

"Waise Shivaay," Om started, "Since when did you start liking Aloo Puri? I mean, you've always advised the family to not eat such oily food..." 

"Yeah, but Annika-" Shivaay stopped, eyes widening, and turned to his brothers. Noticing the mischievous glint their eyes were holding, he gulped. Feigning annoyance, he rebuked them.

"What's with all the questions, huh? Can we please focus on making lunch? It's so late already!"

Om and Rudra laughed, before deciding they had done enough teasing for the day. That is, until Annika herself walked in.

"Mhmm, this smells so delicious..." She said while walking in. "Almost like... ALOO PURI?!" She exclaimed excitedly, jumping like a child, making the three brother chuckle.

"The very same, didi," Rudra said while sliding an arm around her shoulder affectionately. "All for you!"

"Thankyou Rudy!" Annika said, eyes glowing, while ruffling his hair. Shivaay felt a pang of disappointment at that. It was HE who should be thanked, he thought with a pout.

"Uh-huh, Annika," Om said with a smile, "It's not Rudra who should be thanked," he smacked Rudra's head here, who gave an embarrassed grin, "but Shivaay. He himself decided to make your favorite lunch."

Annika turned towards Shivaay with surprise, who looked at her hopefully. And with that look, Annika knew that this was his way of saying sorry, again. Her heart filled at that. Smiling at him, she mumbled a 'thankyou'.

"You don't have to thank me," Shivaay whispered. It seemed, at this moment, that they were in their own world. The two other inhabitants of the kitchen, who were watching the scene interestedly, were all but forgotten.

"I know, but..." Annika was interrupted before she could finish.

"You've forgiven me for yesterday, right?" He asked with pleading eyes. Annika stared him down a moment, before nodding.

Excited, Shivaay moved towards her and engulfed her in a bear hug, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. Annika stiffened at that, her breath becoming shallow. She had never been this close to him, that too willingly. On the other side, Om and Rudra looked on with their mouths hanging open.

"Thankyou," Shivaay breathed out against her hair, that was giving off a heady scent of jasmines and incense, leaving him feeling high.

Gulping, Annika tried to pry his arms away, although she had to admit- she had never before felt so warm and protected. 

"Bi-billuji I c-can't breathe," She managed to get out somehow, and Shivaay, with a low laugh, let her go.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly, running a hand through his hair.

Om and Rudra decided this would be a good time to intervene. Rudra cleared his throat, loud enough to bring Shivaay and Annika out of their dream land.

"We're here too, you guys," Rudra said dramatically, waving a hand in front of his face.

Shivaay and Annika glanced around awkwardly, avoiding eye contact. Patting off imaginary dust from their clothes, the both of them tried to avoid any confrontation that may come. Shivaay moved to finish up the lunch, while Annika muttered something about Dadi calling her to her room. As she quickly scurried away, Om and Rudra glanced at Shivaay who was watching her leave with longing eyes, before sharing a happy high-five with each other.