TBITB|| XI

Chapter eleven of 'The Boy In The Basement':

"I still cannot believe you swore to our faces, Alice Jennette Dawson." mum shook her head from the side to side, obviously disappointed in my behaviour of last night. I rolled my eyes and ignored her. She still doesn't know that I was eavesdropping. How could they think that I was going crazy? It blew my mind not knowing the answer.

A little while later, we were walking through the halls of passing students, flocking to their classrooms before the clock struck 10:45. Mum and I walked simultaneously together as students passed us. There were some hushed whispers about me as we passed the standing students in the hallways.

Don't listen to them, Alice. Keep moving.

I wanted to bad to answer to Harry. But, people would begin thinking their is something crazy with me, and my mum would end up telling my dad about me talking to know one in particular, then that leads to a fucking therapist.

"Where is the office?" I asked mum and we looked around a corner. It was just filled with lockers and classrooms. No sign of the office anywhere. "I'm not sure." My sighed annoyed.

Second hallway to your right, three doors down.

I tugged my mum's sweater and we began walking down the hallways where Harry told me to go. I miss Harry here with me. I need him physically close to me. I feel much safer with him around, and I have no idea why. Maybe it's the fact that he saved my life. Or that he kissed me, and I sure as hell liked it.

"My name is Principle Dawn," the old lady smiled at us kindly. We smiled and nodded our heads at her as we took a seat in the plushy seats. I relaxed back into the chair, and let the old lady and my mum do the talking.

You seem bored. I can sense it.

I groaned lightly in frustration when I couldn't reply to Harry, but I so badly wanted to. Do you ever get that feeling? Well probably not because you aren't best friends with a ghost...

Take out your phone and write messages in your notes section. I can read them, because I am super-dooper cool!

Rolling my eyes but smiling, I obediently took my phone out from my pocket and unlocked it. "Isn't that right, Alice?" Mum asked me. I looked up at her confused. "Hmm?" I asked.

They were talking about you starting school here!

"Oh! Yes, yes. Very happy." I faked a smile. They both smiled at me before turning their heads back around, and talking away, and I got my phone out.

"You are a life savor!" I wrote in my notes.

Haha, it's the least I can do, babe.

I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks when I heard him call me "babe". I just can't help it. No one has ever called me that before, nor "love".

I love how I can make you blush.

I could hear the smile expand in his voice as he spoke so softy, yet his voice was so deep, and demand-like. "I am not blushing." I typed.

Bullshit.

"Language, young man!" I scolded him virtually. 

Well, according to you, I am old. But, sorry anyways, mum.

It was really hard for me to contain my laughter inside of my mouth. I let it go, and the quiet voices of the principle and my mum was overpowered by my loud fit of laughter. My mum was giving me a sour expression, and the principle was looking at me disapprovingly.

I stopped laughing and looked at them. My mum had a look of disappointment written clear on her face. Well at least she isn't the one who has to be at this school for a few more weeks. I will probably have to put up with everyone and everyone's bullshit...

___

"What the hell were you thinking, Alice Dawson?!" Mum shouted at me once we got into the kitchen. She didn't speak a word to me at all in the car ride, now she has the audacity to yell at me in the kitchen?

I grabbed an apple off from the basket in the middle of the counter, and sat down at the kitchen table where my dad was filing papers. He peered at me and my mother through the top of his glasses.

"What do you mean what was I thinking? I was just laughing." I mumbled. I kinda felt bad, but yet again I didn't. Mum slammed her purse down on the table and glared at me. "You embarrassed me! Did you see the way your principle was looking at you?!"

"Mum, will you calm the hell down?" I asked, standing up. I still had the apple in my hands. "What is going on?" Dad piped in. "Mum is being a bitch because I started laughing during her conversation with the damn principle!" I roared.

A rush of pain, and stinging was now filling my right cheek up. I stood there in shock, my hand up to my cheek, and I looked up at my mother in disbelief. She looked beyond furious. "Go to your room." she said.

Mum held up her hand and pointed up the stairs. "But-" she didn't give me time to finish my sentence, "I said go to your room now. You are grounded for a week." her voice was low, but it was still scary. I glared at her, tears stinging my eyes.

I ran up to my room with tears trailing down my cheeks. I can't believe she hit me. I just can't! She has never laid her hands on me like that in my entire life. She hasn't hit anyone in her entire life if I am to be clear.

I run straight to my bed, hiding myself under the covers. I was scared for what may come in the future. Will mum ever speak to me again?

Of course she will! She is your mother.

The air underneath the blanket became less and less easier to breath in. I was lacking oxygen. I threw off my blankets, and stared up at my ceiling. It was yet another rainy day here in Holmes Chapel.

Those tears still rolled down my cheeks. My cheek still hurt from when mum smacked me. It still shocked me. I just needed one person here to comfort me. Yet, they are no where in sight.

My body shook from sobs escaping between my pale, dry lips. I turned around and just as I was going to lay on my pillow, Harry became visible, and he was my pillow. I didn't question it, because he was just the person who I needed.

I buried my face into his hard chest, and he rubbed my back, humming me a song that I have never heard.