Prologue

Prologue:

My cousin and I were walking down the street after a lovely -but quite exhausting, if you ask me- afternoon shopping. We were intensely discussing about what a lovely shirt she had bought. I had a really limited budget, so I mostly just went for the fun of it, for the rush of shopping –for the millionth time.

You see, it turns out my mom is not a money-giving one. But since I am a teenager, I still cannot say anything about it. I am not allowed to because if I do, I will be considered a spoiled, ungrateful girl. In order to keep the serenity, calmness and peace at home, I have to suck it up. But I want money; I want to feel at least a little bit independent.

And I will.

I abruptly stopped walking; making my cousin, Laura, frown in confusion several seconds later, when she realized I was no longer next to her but far behind. She looked back and stared at me doubtfully. I took a deep breath, thinking over and over until I realized what I was going to do, and then looked around, trying to figure out how to do it. I knew I could not just jump on to it; I had to carefully plan it and make sure I was in something that was good, and most importantly legal. I was not really interested on going to jail at such a short age. Not something I looked forward to.

Laura’s confused face frowned even more as she slowly made her way back to me. When she was finally in front of me she stared expectantly, like waiting for me to say I was having a heart attack or maybe she was waiting for me to say anything at all. Maybe stopping so abruptly was not such a good idea after all. I should have at least touched her arm to make her focus on me so she did not get surprised when I stopped. Oh well.

I dismissed her expectant look as I was staring at the stores around us, paying close attention to its employees. I had made up my mind already, looking determinedly around. It would be a bit difficult to find a job at such a young age, but if Ashton Kutcher found a job at thirteen I would surely find one at fifteen.

“I want a job,” I stated.

She just stared bewildered at me for a while, and then she sighed frustrated while shaking her head as she finally understood what I meant and grabbed me by the shoulders shaking me a little as if to bring me back to reality -or probably make me change my mind. But I was not changing my mind.

“You just got out of school and you already want to work? You are supposed to be on a break, on a summer break for god’s freaking sake! You should want to go to the beach and get that white ass tanned!” Laura said and raised her eyebrows at me, demanding for a really good explanation to such craziness. But the thing is I did not consider it such craziness and I was not quite sure why she did.

“Yes, I know but I want to have my own money, not to depend on my mom. She is not going to give me any money anyway. And I’m old enough to work and start to take care of myself and now I even have the time and I am sure she will be okay with it, so why not? I have made up my mind. I want a job.” I said as I stared intently at an employee at the other side of some store’s window. “And my ass is not white,” I grunted.

I think the employee felt my stare on her because she slowly and hesitantly raised her eyes and soon they met mine. She just stayed there, still, like trying to figure out if I was staring at her, and if I was, why. She looked around to see if there was anyone else. When she noticed she was the only one there, so she had to be the one I was staring intently at, she stared at me frightened and after a couple of seconds cautiously turned around and disappeared.

I might have scared her just a bit. Some therapy and she will be just fine.

Laura sighed, making me blink and come back to earth and return my gaze to her just in time to see her stare at me in disbelief. “You are serious about this, right?” She asked, eyeing me suspiciously. I nodded reassuringly. “Okay, you know I can get you a job. Any preferences?” She asked, tilting her head to one side, the way she does when she is into something.

“Nope, whatever you get me is fine.” I answered, shrugging care freely. 

“Even if it is cleaning horses’ poop?” she asked grinning. She loves so much to mock me. I am an easy prey. I never complain and just laugh, even if it is sarcastically. And she is doing it again. Or so I pray. I want money but I am not desperate enough as to clean horses’ poop. It is just not my thing.

I gave her a do-not-mess-with-me killer glare and crossed my arms over my chest, raising an eyebrow disapprovingly at her for not taking this seriously enough.

It was important to me and I wanted her support in this. There is no one else to support me, I am an only child. I guess that is why we are so close. She has a brother, but you can never compare a boy to a girl, we have a bond that boys could never understand even if they tried to. “Shut up and get me a job, Laura!” I said through gritted teeth.

“Okay Kaylie, chill down! God! Don’t you take any jokes?” She asked raising her hands defensively in surrender.

“No.”

“Not even if they are small?”

“No.”

“Not even teeny-tiny?” she asked grinning exaggeratedly and bending her legs to make it seem as if she was shrinking. She looked so darn funny. But I had to keep my laugh inside. If I laughed she would keep on making jokes and I really wanted her to take this job hunt seriously.

If it were someone else they would have looked around embarrassed to see if anyone was seeing this, but I could care less. “No,” I said trying to suppress a smile.

She rolled her eyes at me. “You’re no fun Kay!” she said pouting her bottom lip out.

I stuck my tongue at her. “Yeah I am, and you love me,” I said grinning knowingly.

She scowled and then laughed heartily. We intertwined our arms and I let out an amused smile. She elbowed me on the side playfully and we started walking down the busy street, giggling and blushing as we saw two really cute guys walk by. They noticed us too, because of my cousin I guess, and winked at us, making us giggle and blush even more, if it was possible.

For my age, fifteen, this behavior was still acceptable. But it was not that acceptable for my nineteen-year-old cousin. She does not mind anyway. She has always been a free-spirit. She does not really care about what people say, unless they are brave enough to say it to her face. Then, she acknowledges to them their bravery.  

We are similar in that.

 ---:---:---:---

What do you think so far about Kaylie? Like her? Hate her? Why? She's on the side by the way!

This story's copyrights are all rights reserved. It is my story and plagiarism will not be tolerated. Your actions could result in a lawsuit, save us both the trouble.