Chapter Five

They both walk inside. Luckily, there was two empty seats right by each other. They sit down as the bell rings.

"Good afternoon class." Mr. Brooks had said in a nasally voice. The students lazily responded back.

"Can anyone tell me what happened in the incident at the Blackwood Church in 1880?" Mr. Brooks had asked the class.

No one raised their hands. He looked across the room. His eyes landed on Maya who was watching the trees outside. "Ms. Hunter what about you?" Mr. Brooks requested.

"I'm sorry. Can you repeat the question?" Maya asked. "What happened at the incident at the Blackwood Church?"

Maya's cheeks had flushed as everyone's eyes landed on her. When she was about to say she didn't know Lucas answered for her.

"A group of confederate soldiers had rounded up the union sympathizers and burned them down in the church. The civilian casualties was up to 30 and the confederate soldiers were never captured." Lucas had answered.

Maya and the class gaped at him in surprise. Even the teacher was caught off guard but his face remained unaffected. "Thank you for answering Mr. Friar. I expect you to pay attention next time Ms. Hunter."

The bell had rang signaling class was over. All the students rushed out eagerly to go to lunch.

"Thanks for saving me back there. You know a lot about history." Maya said, placing a blonde strand behind her ear.

"Well history is one of my favorite subjects. This small town has plenty of history." Lucas mentioned.

"That's what my dad says all the time. My dad is obsessed with ancient artifacts and folklore." Maya stated.

"Baby bro! Can you come with me? Cole seems to be in a predicament." Vanessa had asked but it was more of a statement.

Before he could respond his sister tugged him down the hallway. Lucas flashed her an apologetic smile before disappearing in the sea of students.

Vanessa had tugged Lucas to the boy's bathroom. She locked the door. He saw Cole with blood around his mouth and all over his shirt.

Next to him was a girl who had blood around her neck. He can hear a faint heartbeat.

Lucas had sighed before squatting down to the girl's level. He bit his wrist and place his wrist to her mouth.

The bite marks around her neck had started to close up and heal until it wasn't visible anymore.

The girl was still out of it and she closed her eyes. He was glad that they didn't have to deal with a dead body on their hands.

He stood up and walked to Cole. "Cole what the hell happened?"

"I was running in gym and the girl had fell on her knee. Her knee was bleeding. I volunteered to take her to the nurse. I though I could control it but when I smelt her blood. I couldn't resist and I attacked her." Cole had explained.

Cole was the only one who drunk animal blood in their family. He had a hard time drinking human blood because he would lose control.

"Cole are you crazy? Did someone see you?" Vanessa questioned. "No. Everyone was in class at the time." He told them.

"Cole you should probably not be around humans right now." Lucas stated. "I'm calling James so you can go home. We'll handle the girl."

Cole kept his head down. He really was trying to control it. Why couldn't he handle himself around blood?

"It's okay Cole at least you didn't kill her." Vanessa said trying to make him feel better.

"A+ for the effort Nessa." He said jokingly. "No problem baby bro." She threw her arm over his shoulder.

"You're only older than me by a minute." Cole rolled his eyes. "Still counts."

"James is here." Lucas informed. Cole took off his blood soaked shirt. He luckily had an undershirt underneath.

He waved goodbye before leaving. "I'm gonna compel the lady again to have gym with Cole." Vanessa mentioned.

"That's probably a good idea. We don't want to draw unnecessary attention to ourselves." Lucas said.

They told the nurse that she threw up at PE class. They left the health office and headed to the cafeteria.