Chapter Seven

Maya woke up from her alarm. She yawned and stretched her limbs out. She rolled out of bed and walked downstairs.

"Good morning Mom and Dad." She greeted her parents. "Good morning sweetheart." Her mother kissed her forehead and gave her her plate of pancakes.

"I'm off to work. Love you guys." He grabbed his work bag and left the house. Her father was a family practice physician. He owned his own practice.

Maya finished her plate and walked upstairs. She was kind of excited to see Lucas again. She got dressed and said goodbye to her mom.

She couldn't find a parking spot so she parked on the street curb from across the school. She was walking across the street when a fast moving car was heading straight towards her.

Maya didn't have time to react. She froze waiting for the car to collide with her but she felt two arms grab her and pull her away from the car.

She smelt a familiar scent of pine and she snuggled deeper against his embrace. Lucas. She looked up and met Lucas's eyes. "Thank you for saving me."

"No problem. Are you okay?" Lucas asked. His green eyes swirled in concern. He caressed her cheek softly.

"I'm okay. I'm just glad that you're here." She covered her small hand with his large one. "Me too." He smiled. Their eyes never left each other.

Vanessa and Cole watched their little brother with Maya. They never seen him so emotional before. He usually kept his feelings to himself.

But this girl brought out this new side of him that Cole and Vanessa had liked.

"She's good for our brother." Vanessa smiled, watching the scene. "I agree with you." Cole remarked.

"Let's go to class." Vanessa pulled Cole along with her. Lucas and Maya walked into the school together.

Riley, Farkle, and Josh ran to her. "Peaches are you okay? We heard what happened." Riley asked frantically looking her over for any injury.

"Riles I'm fine. Lucas saved me." Maya turned to him and gave him a smile. Lucas smiled back. Josh seethed and growled under his breath.

Lucas felt Josh's intense glare but he honestly could care less of what he thought.

Josh's POV

The bell had rung to first period. He was glad that he had the same class as Maya.

Josh was furious. He should've been the one to save her. Not some no good bloodsucker.

He needed to tell Maya the truth about him. He wrote a note and passed it to Maya beside him.

Can we talk after school? I need to talk to you about something. It's important.

Maya nodded her head. Josh smirked. She would see how wrong he is for her.

"Alright class. The partner project is due next Monday." Mr. Brooks informed the class.

"Hey Lucas do you mind if we go to my house for the project?" Maya asked.

"I don't mind at all." Lucas replied. "I need to talk to Josh real quick then we can go to my house."

"I'll wait for you then." Lucas stated. Sixth period had quickly ended. Kids and teachers left the school. Maya was waiting by her locker for Josh.

Josh finally appeared. "So what did you need to tell me?" She questioned. "You need to stay away from Lucas. He's bad for you."

"What are you talking about Josh? He just saved my life!" Maya retorted angrily.

"No Maya you don't get it! He's a killer. A monster. You should be with me!" Josh roared. But his voice was lower then normal. His eyes also started to flicker form blue to yellow.

"J-josh you're scaring me." Maya stuttered. "I'm in love with you. I deserve you not him!" Josh couldn't control the wolf inside of him. He got down on all fours. He transitioned into his wolf form.

Maya saw in horror as Josh became an animal right in front of her eyes. Josh growled and Maya ran down the hallways in fear. "Help! Someone help me!" She screamed in terror.

Lucas heard Maya's yells for help and he sped into the school. He heard Maya's footsteps and smelt the wolf running after her.

He sped in that direction. Maya was coming towards him. Josh was hot on her heels.

Lucas lunged at Josh. They crashed into the wall. Maya watched in shock as they fought on the floor.

"Go Maya! Get out of here!" Lucas roared. His green eyes turned red and his canines were extended showing Maya the monster underneath. Lucas got thrown off of Josh and flew through the air and crashed into the lockers.

He used his advanced hearing to make sure that she made it safely out of the school. Josh ran at him to attack again.

Josh leapt at him but Lucas anticipated that attack and slid under Josh's body grabbing his hind leg and twisting it. He heard Josh whimper and land harshly on the floor. He transitioned back to human form.

Lucas picked him up by the shirt. "I should kill you right now for trying to kill Maya but I'm going to spare your pathetic life. You need to leave this town and never come back again. Do you understand?" Lucas threatened him.

Josh nodded his head. Lucas helped Josh out the school. "Why are you helping me? We're enemies."

"Despite our differences, I couldn't leave you there helpless."

Josh had realized how wrong he was. Lucas was the better man. No the right man for her.

"I was wrong." Josh muttered. "What are you wrong about?" Lucas asked. "I said you were bad for her but you're good for her. You're the right one for her." Josh told Lucas.

"I'm really sorry for almost killing you and Maya. I really am." Josh apologized. "I'm not the one you should be saying sorry to."