1. Foolish Games

Foolish Games

These foolish games are tearing me, you're tearing meYou're tearing me apartAnd your thoughtless words are breaking my heartYou're breaking my heart

You're tearing me apart
And your thoughtless words are breaking my heart
You're breaking my heart

You took your coat off
Stood in the rain
You're always crazy like that....

I strummed my fingers across the guitar strings hitting the final chord and placed them over the fret board to stop the vibration. Then I lifted my head and glanced at the crowd through my pink tinted hair. The eruption of the applause and the whistles almost shook the hall. I stood up from the stool I was sitting, and bowed low to the cheering crowd and walked away from the stage.

I ran my fingers through my sweat soaked bangs combing them back lazily. Art is bouncing on his toes at the edge of the stage, ready for his solo dance act. I gave him a thumbs up.

“Best of luck Art!” He thumped on my back.

Now that the concert is almost at the end I felt exhaustion taking me over as I was walking to the changing room. I dragged my aching knee, limping slightly. Placing my guitar on the case, I sprawled over one of the sofas and picked my phone up from the coffee table. There were several massages. I swiped them one by one not paying much attention.

My thumb stopped at one picture massage. The caption said 'Best of luck on your big day. Love from Haiti!'

I smiled at his cheeky expression

I smiled at his cheeky expression. So that's where he is now. When you have a hot model as a boyfriend who travels all over the world with his team, the loneliness is unavoidable. He’s been away for more than four months now. I miss his familiarity. His warmth. I didn’t feel lonely when he’s around. He can always make me laugh. You can never be serious around him. Just like my annoying best friend, Ming.

Ming, who’s entering the rest room right now. I opened my mouth to complain about the aching knee. My whine died on my lips when two other guys followed him in. The first person is P’Mew, my dear friend Art’s good looking boyfriend. The other guy followed him is tall and handsome in a totally bad boy style.

He had slightly longer hair and a little beard. He looked scary with an ear piercing and a tattoo peaking from under the rolled up arm of his black t-shirt. He had a leather jacket draped over his arm. He looked like trouble. What the hell Ming and P’Mew doing with a guy like that?

“Yo, this is P’Forth.” Ming pointed the scary guy. He came forward and greeted me. Despite his looks, he has a very warm smile. I bowed back respectfully but looked questioningly at Ming. “He’s my senior at office.” Ming explained.

I smiled broadly at him, now that I know he’s not a psychopath. No, I’m not over reacting. I’ve had my share of bad encounters with psychopaths and sociopaths throughout my career. So if I’m a bit paranoid, it’s really not my fault.

“It’s really great meeting you, Yo. I’m a big fan” He placed his palm over his heart.

“The pleasure is all mine P’Forth” I smiled warmly. I’m always nice to my fans. He slipped his hand inside his leather jacket and took out the concert ticket.

“Can I have your autograph?” he gave me the ticket. I took it from him and looked around for a pen.

“Here” P’Mew thrust a pen at me. “Didn’t this asshole tell you that he’s my best friend since middle school?” He teased P'Forth. “Ai’Forth, why didn’t you tell me you have a crush on Yo. I would have introduced you to him sooner.” He chuckled when P’Forth pushed him.

“I was afraid that you would tease me, you clown.” He wrapped one arm around P’Mew’s neck and squeezed. “Don’t believe a word he says Nong Yo.” He smiled taking the signed ticket from me and releasing harassed P’Mew from his grasp.

“Are you all having a party without me?” Art peaked his head in pouting, at P’Mew specially. “Ai’Yo!” He exclaimed at me, who's sprawed so comfortably on the sofa. “What are you doing here? We have a fan signing now. Hurry your lazy butt up!” He scowled and dissapeared.

I sighed and stood up. A sharp pain shot up my bad knee and I stumbled with a little cry. Ming and P’Mew held me before falling.

“Is it your knee?” I nodded lowering back on the sofa again and rubbing my knee painfully.

“How long has this going on?” Ming stared me down.

“A while.” I mumbled looking down at my stupid knee.

“I thought you were fine after that herbal treatment?” He looked at me suspiciously. “Is that why you were performing on stage, sitting down?” He was angry now.

“Yeah Ming, stop shouting at me, you asshole. My knee is killing me.” I whined.

“Okay, I’m calling an ambulance.” Ming pulled out his phone. I held his hand to stop him. “No?, Then I’m calling your dad.” He slapped my hand away.

“Ai'Ming, stop it. I can’t go to a hospital, you know that. You know that. Management will have my hide. Think about the gossips that will spread if people find out.” I cried in exasperation.

“Fuck management!” Ming started dialing a number.

“No stop” I cried weakly.

“Mingkawn?” P’Forth stopped Ming by putting a hand on his shoulder. “Sorry for butting in Nong Yo.” He looked at me apologetically. “I have a close friend who runs a private clinic. I can get him to see Nong Yo privately. And I can vouch for him. He won’t sell out Nong Yo for the media.” He said those words to Ming.

Ming looked at me. I bit my lip contemplating. Sooner or later I'll have to take care of this. If the management finds out that I have been bailing out on performances due to a weak knee, then I’d be in heaps of trouble. So I nodded at Ming.

“I’ll give him a call” P’Forth went out.

“I’ll tell them that you are too exhausted to do the signing today.” P’Mew left after P’Forth.

Ming ran his fingers along his long bangs.

“You need to tell me or P’Joss or even your dad about these things Yo” He sighed. “What were you thinking? You are only twenty three. You need to pay more attention to yourself, asshole.” He’s not angry just tired. I didn’t respond.

“It’s done. You have an appointment at ten thirty.” P’Forth handed Ming a card, who took it and read it immediately. “He closes the clinic at ten in the evening so there won’t be anyone around.” He looked at me.

“Thank you P’Forth.” I gave him a faint smile.

“Hey, don’t thank me. I want to see my favorite idol sing and dance more and more in future.” He smiled and leaned down to Pat my shoulder. “Take care Nong Yo.”

He looked at Ming. “Ai’Mingkwan? Let me know what happen.” Ming nodded. “And come have drinks with us on Friday. You’ve been bailing out for so long.” He slapped Ming non too gentle on the back. Ming bowed respectfully.