53. Good Company, Good Advice

A/n - Bad weather in my area 😣😣😣😥😪😫
Thank you my lovelies for reading, voting and commenting. 😍😍😍😘😘😘

Good company, good advice

“….that was when Phana was just five.” Mom smiled taking a sip from her lathe I just made for her. I was thoroughly enjoying the embarrassing stories of P’Pha, she’s been telling me.

“One time Phana’s dad found him treating one of our domestics. We thought he was playing acting doctor with the maid but he was actually treating her common cold and writing prescription for real. Dad’s been taking him to his clinic-those days he only had a small scale clinic- he already knew basic names of medicines.” She smiled fondly, eyes far away. “He was only ten.”

I smiled, thinking about ten year old P’Pha treating patients with a serious face.

“Phana’s dad understood that medical profession was in his blood on that day.” She gave me a sad look. “Phana’s dad wanted him to take over his hospital but Phana decided to major in Orthopedic. He didn’t want to do anything with his dad’s hospital.” She sighed with the weight of his family’s trouble on her shoulders, in the way that only mothers can do. I guess I wouldn’t know because my mother is already in heaven. “I guess Phana did it because he wants to be independent. He wanted to do something on his own to move away from his dad’s shadow. It caused a major rift between them. They reconciled only after Phana agreed to marry Pring.” My stomach dropped. I was the reason of the trouble between them now, I thought feeling horribly guilty.

I felt her hand on my arm lying on the table.

“Don’t feel bad son.” She gave me a kind smile. “It’s not your fault.” No, it is. I wanted shout. But I just gazed at the table top sadly.

“Mom?” I lifted my eyes to her. She was still looking at me. “Do you think dad will ever accept me?” I whispered. She patted my hand and leaned back on her chair.

“Wayo, there’s something you should understand.” She started seriously. “Phana’s dad isn’t a narrow minded person. Strict yes, but not narrow minded.” She smiled softly. “He’s like Phana.” She chuckled, shaking her head. “Both of them are stubborn and willful. They won’t back down because of their principals.” I guess she was right. “Pring’s family is our close friends. When Phana broke off the engagement he was furious. He was against you not because you are a boy, but because you are not Pring.” She snorted. I laughed a bit.

“I’m not P’Pring.” I laughed again.

“So, in time, he will accept you. Don’t worry. They just need time to cool off. After all we are family and family always find their way back to each other.” She patted my shoulder, standing up. I guess she’s right; I shouldn’t worry my head over this.

“The shelves are almost empty.” She muttered opening and closing cupboards in the pantry. “This boy never cares about household matters.” She said, her voice toning into fond disapproval. “I’m glad you’re taking care of him.” She smiled at me which I returned happily. “I guess you are a better partner for him than Pring. She doesn’t even know how to peal a potato let alone making such star class dishes for him.” I flushed at her compliment. “Did you ever think of becoming a chef?” She asked opening the refrigerator and peering in.

“I wanted to.” I said thoughtfully. “But I was stuck at being an Idol. Maybe later I might do something to do with cooking.” I said contemplating. Now that I think of it, it’s not such a bad idea. I could open a small restaurant which I can serve gourmet food for people with specialized taste. French cuisine or Japanese. My mind jumped up at the idea.

“Shall we stock the kitchen?” Mom spoke up, waking me up from my thoughts. “Would you like to go with me to the supermarket?” She asked reaching for her purse on the table.

“Okay.” I stood up. “I’ve been lacking some major ingredients for the dishes I planned to make for P’Pha, so I jumped up at the invitation.

“Let the maids take care of the kitchen.” She looked around. “Although there’s nothing much to do for them.” She patted my cheek. “You have done a great job here.” I smiled shyly. Taking compliments is not my strong suit.

“It’s nothing mom.” I mumbled, stuffing my wallet and phone into the back pocket.

She drove us to the seven eleven close by. I was so excited to do such a mundane thing like shopping in the supermarket with P’Pha’as mom. I haven’t done anything so normal like this in a long time. We both chatted while picking up loads of things needed for the kitchen.

At the last minute I have snagged one of P’Pha’s overlarge hoodies from his room in case people recognized me. I must look reduculous, but I didn’t care. Mom laughed at me fondly seeing me in P’Pha’s hoodie. She teased me saying that I look like a kid wearing dad’s cloths. I flushed so hard at her teasing. How cool P’Pha’s mom is? Are all mom’s are cool like this?

“I’m out of dried basil and oregano…..” I mumbled reaching up to get the packets of dried herbs needed for Italian cuisine.

“Excuse me?” I turned my head and saw a nervous sales girl looking up at me expectantly. “If you don’t mind, can I have your autograph, please?” She extended a small pink autograph book. I looked around startled. It looks like the entire staff of the supermarket is gathered around me.

“Err.. Sure.” I smiled awkwardly taking the book from her.

“We’re sorry if we disturb you, Idol Yo.” She bowed low taking the book from me.

“Yes, we are sorry. But we love your songs.” Another one came, and another, another…..

“We totally understand that you want to retire from singing and spend time with your boyfriend. That man and that gossip site did wrong for you.” The last to take my autograph is an elderly lady, who seems to be the manager of the store. “But we simply love you.” She smiled when I gave back her autograph book.

“The fans miss you.” Mom moved closer to me, when the crowd left one by one. “She was giving me a speculative look. “You are quiet famous.” She started pushing the cart besides me. I stepped along with her.

“I didn’t know I had such a vast range of fan base. I thought its only teenagers.” I said looking down at my sneakers.

“They will be disappointed to see you gone, to not hear from you anymore.” She dropped few packets of tissues into the basket.

“But I want to be with P’Pha. I want to spend time with him. I don’t want to leave him and travel around the country. I just got him back.” I pouted childishly. She laughed.

“Listen to me child.” She stopped and turned to face me. I copied her. “Life is too short and it’s good to spend the every special minute with the one you love.” She slipped her hand to my arm and started guiding me to the checkout counter. “But, life is not as short as you imagine. When you give up your whole life for someone else, you will be left with nothing in your old age. I left my career as a doctor to take care of Phana and his siblings. Now they have all grown up and left the house. What do I have for myself now? Nothing. I’ve only got the hope of seeing my children come home from time to time. It’s rather pathetic.” She laughed derisively.

“Mom?” I tugged her arm seeing a little tear in the corner of her eye.

“That’s why I’m telling you.” She exhaled heavily, turning to me and holding my face between her warm motherly hands. “My child, you are gifted. You have a voice like an angel. You can cook like a professional. Just don’t let your talents to waste.” She patted my cheek and started pushing the cart back to the line forming at the cash registry.

“Love Phana but also love who you are.” She said firmly while I trailed after her.

While the girl at the counter scanning our goods I thought about her wise words.