CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE: Taking Conrad Away

Conrad knew his two friends had spotted him when they entered and was surprised when they sat on the other side of the cafeteria. Not that he was complaining. He definitely didn't need his friends comparing notes about him. Watching his friend from Med School devour his last spoon of ice cream he decided to get going while the going was good.

"Well it was great catching up. Sorry I didn't get back to you," Conrad began to stand up but his wrist was caught in a firm but gentle grip.
"Sit down a minute," Pete instructed seriously and kept his hold until his young friend was seated again, "I want to know why you're looking so rough and if you don't tell me I'm going to have to make enquiries elsewhere."
"No!" Conrad felt his heart pounding, this was all getting too much for him, couldn't people just leave him alone?
"No," Pete stated firmly, "people can't leave you alone."
"I .....," the fair haired man hadn't meant to speak the words aloud, in his panic he didn't think he had, "just drop it Pete."
"You're my friend Conrad," Pete looked around the now nearly empty dining area and caught Devons' eye but gave a subtle head shake as the man approached, "and I'm worried about you. You shouldn't be working right now."
"I'm fine."
"You're about to pass out," Pete stood up and stepped over to stand beside the pale man, "come on I'll get you out of here."
"But .....,"
"It's okay I got you," Pete easily tugged the smaller man to his feet and placed an arm around his waist after pulling one arm around his shoulders, "we'll go out the side door."
"Pete just ...... stop .....," Conrad was feeling so weak it was a struggle to get the words out.
"If I stop you're going to be treated here," Pete paused, his hand on the glass door, "up to you."
"Okay," the sweating man gave in realizing his friend was right and allowed himself to be guided to the car park, unaware of any curious looks sent their way.
"Damn," Pete cursed once his friend was strapped in the passenger seat, "back in a minute forgot my cell."
"Kay," Conrad leant his head back against the headrest and closed his eyes hoping it would stop the world spinning as the door was shut.

Pete wasn't surprised to find Devon and Nic inside the cafeteria side door. He had seen the interest they had shown in his friend so assumed they were colleagues at the very least.

"I'm guessing ye're colleagues of Conrad?"
"Yes and friends. Where are you taking him?" the Nurse Practitioner asked frowning.
"Home. To my place. He just doesn't know it yet," Pete took out his business card, "I've known him since Med School."
"Devon and Nic. What's wrong with him right now?" Devon offered his card in return.
"I'm guessing the fact that he hasn't been eating has finally caught up with him. Look I have to go before he goes AWOL. Told him I forgot my cell."
"You'll ring?" Nic checked worriedly.
"I promise."
"Go before he takes off," Devon gave his approval and watched the older man jog back to the car park, cell in hand.
"This is ridiculous. We should be helping him," the blonde pointed out.
"Look I want to help him too but at least he has someone who's going to take care of him. In the end that's the most important thing," Devon reasoned.
"I know. You're right I'm just ...,"
"Worried," Devon supplied sympathetically.
"Yeah," Nic sighed as they walked out of the eating area, "what do we tell Personnel?"
"I'll ask Jude."
"You going to tell him about this?"
"He's going to notice he's not around."
"Okay. Hope his friend can talk some sense into him."
"Yeah. Me too, me too," Devon concurred doubtfully.

-----------------------------------------

By the time Conrad was over his weakness he had already been brought to his friends' house, much to his chagrin. The fact that Hannah was in LA at a Medical Conference only slightly mollified him. The large house was exactly as he remembered it, homely. With warm colours on the walls and soft carpets littered with worn but cosy furniture the house always reminded him of what he pictured a family home should look like. Not a house, a home. He had never felt he had a home despite the wealth attached to his upbringing. No amount of wealth could compare to having a home. As he looked at the gas fuelled fire in the grey brick fireplace he sighed and took another sip of Coca Cola from the large black mug he had been given as he pulled the borrowed large dressing gown tighter around his shivering frame.

Pete had been standing in the doorway watching his friend and had seen various emotions flicker across the still pale features. After arriving at the house he had given his friend a glass of 7UP to quell the weakness assailing him and had then made sure he ate half an omelette. With food in his system Pete brooked no arguments and told Conrad he was staying in the guest room. Surprisingly there hadn't been an argument but he knew that was simply because the younger man was too exhausted to put up a fight. His friend had lain down for a few hours and then taken a shower. While his friend was in the bathroom he had taken his clothes and put them in the wash, leaving the dressing gown on the bed. It was an obvious ploy to make the other man stay but it was the only one he could come up with. His friend wouldn't try to borrow his clothes as they were several sizes too big, especially in his present condition. Once the man was fully out of it he had examined him, guessing that he must have lost at least seven pounds or more since he last saw him. Seeing his friend shiver Pete walked in after shutting the door and then casually dropped a brown fleece blanket on the younger mans' lap.

"That will keep you warm."
"Thanks Pete," Conrad looked around at the tall green Christmas tree twinkling in red and gold by the large bay window, "this place always makes me feel like home."
"So why were you looking so forlorn a moment ago?" Pete asked innocently.
"What?"
"When I came into the hallway you looked ...... I don't know .... I guess ..... sad."
"Ah forget it," Conrad shook his head as his fingers fiddled with the blanket.
"Tell me. Please?"
"I just got to thinking how life can be cruel sometimes," the tired man shrugged nonchalantly.
"Go on."
"Well ....," Conrad would never know why he spoke the next words but they were airborne before he could retrieve them, "you and Hannah really wanted children but couldn't have them. Any child would be happy here. Safe."
"And?" Pete prodded relieved his friend was finally talking but worried at the reference to 'safe'.
"My old man probably could have had more than one kid if he wanted," the fair haired mans' voice became so quiet that his friend had to lean forward in his armchair to hear him, "but he didn't even want one."
"That's his loss Conrad. One day he'll realize it."
"Nah, he won't," Conrad tore his gaze from the tree subtly brushing away a stray tear, "all he ever cares about is money and power. You want to know something funny?"
"What?"
"When I was a kid I used to dream of living in a home like this. With a father that gave a damn."
"How about your mother? You never speak of her. I'm guessing you take after her."
"She was great. She passed away years ago."
"Sorry Conrad."
"That's life," Conrad shook himself as he looked at his mug, "you must think I'm awful."
"Why?"
"After what I just told you," Conrads' gaze returned to the decorated tree.
"What you told me is something every child wants Conrad. Unfortunately in this life things don't always work out according to wishes."
"Yeah I've noticed."

tbc