9

A moment passed, I knew I fell asleep already. But suddenly, the strong wind blew, making my whole body shiver.

Wait, why is there even wind? I remember to close the windows!

I quickly sat up and opened my eyes, and I couldn't believe on what I saw.

I was on a forest, a dark forest. Dried leaves were everywhere, as well as tall trees and big trunks. I felt my heart beating faster than a horse, or maybe faster than a car. I slowly stood up, dusting off myself from the dirt on the ground. The place was very familiar from my eyes, as if I've been here many times now. Taking several steps forward, I tried to track myself down and find a way out of it but there was no clear path and it was very dark. I stopped infront of a tall tree before scanning the place again.

Was I dreaming? No, it's impossible. I could feel the strong wind blowing and it was touching my skin. I tried pinching myself as well, but I felt it and I groaned in pain.

This simply means I wasn't dreaming.

My head quickly turned to my left when I heard footsteps and mumbling voices from a distance. I quickly crouched, hiding myself behind the tree, with only my head peeking just to see a group of men with one gas lamp and walked towards my direction.

"We better find that man soon." One of them spoke and as they got closer, I mentally gasped, seeing them dressed like how palace guards were dressed in Joseon. "King Yi-Byeon will kill all of us if not."

Did I just hear a demon's name? Does this mean I'm in Joseon again?

"We better stay up all night. If not, that Mingyu will spill everything he knows." My eyes widened when I heard a familiar name from them. Mingyu was one of my bestfriends from outside the palace, and he knew every single thing about me, aside from me being sick when I was here.

As soon as they faded from my sight, I slowly scanned the place before standing up slowly, making sure that no one was around me, or I'll be dead. Now, I'm sure. I'm in Joseon.

My eyes suddenly lands on the tree where I hid myself, and I spotted some writings on its wood. From the light that the moon provided, I squinted my eyes and moved closer, reading the words that were written on it.

Mingyu and Ihwan

"Ihwan..." I mumbled. I smiled upon remembering my own birthname that was written on the tree. People used to call me in that name before I sat on the throne. Mingyu was my friend since we were little, his parents used to be my mother's workers.

Memories flashed in my head, seeing me and my little friend running around this tree infront of me.

"Ihwan-ah, I thought we'll be searching for berries!" The guy that was holding a small basket complained as I walked around the forest, and saw a sharp stone.

"We will! Be patient, okay?!" I scolded him. He was a good friend to me and he always listen to my requests. He would always help me collect special stones, and we have our own containers where we kept them.

"Look, this stone is really sharp!" He exclaimed that made me stop from walking, running towards him.

"It's pretty!" I laughed. The older one handed it to me, spreading my small palms.

"You can have it, your highness."

"I told you to stop calling me that. I am not the King yet." I smirked but took the stone from him, walking towards a trunk and began writing our names on it. He was watching me with a bright smile on his face.