52

Dead? What?

A laugh came out of my lips as I kept my eyes locked with Chaeyoung. Tears silently fell from the two pairs of orbs, then she bit her lip to prevent a sob to slip out.

"What?" I voiced out the word that had been stuck on the tip of my tongue, I was shaking my head in refusal. No, that is absolutely not true.

But my heart clenched inside my chest, my hands trembled on my lap.

He's dead.

He's dead.

He's dead.

Rosé just stilled on her seat, waiting for my system to accept the words she just said. She wiped away the sticky tears on her cheeks, then she glanced at the book that settled between us.

"He's gone. H-He's dead—"

"How could you be so sure?!"

Hands clenched into fists, I shouted at her as tears came falling from my eyes. I stood from the couch in an instant, just to cause my sight to blur for a few seconds. But when I gained back my balance, I spun and faced Rosé.

"Why do you sound so fucking sure?" I asked her again. "He's not dead. I know it. I can feel it, he's not dead!"

I pointed a finger on my heart while shaking my head, I refused to believe it. He's not dead, I can still feel him inside my heart. His heart's still beating, together with mine.

"He's not dead." Balanced failed to take over, I fell back on the couch as I whimpered in pain, in exhaustion.

He's dead.

He's dead.

He's dead.

"That book... Is everything inside that true?" I asked, letting my voice to lower its volume. Slowly, Rosé nodded while staring at the thick object between us. "How could you be so sure?"

"It describes the same thing as the other book. The only difference was... his death." Rosé struggled to speak amid her cries. "I didn't believe it at first too, unnie. I did my research and it took me two days—"

"Two days?" A scoff of disbelief came out from my lips. "You had this book two days ago?! Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I wanted to make sure, I was just protecting you—"

"I don't need your protection, Rosé!" I countered raising my voice once again. "I want the truth, I need the truth!"

"I just told you the truth, Irene!"

Silence.

He's dead.

He's dead.

He's dead.

"He's not dead..." I shook my head.

Please don't be dead...

It never sank in, I never accepted it. Not if I have proof, not if there's an evidence. But how am I supposed to find an evidence when his body and soul is left in the past? There's nothing left with me, no more.

My mind couldn't process it, my heart... my heart couldn't take it.

"Are you lying to me?" I asked her again, and I would ask her again and again until the truth comes out of her mouth. I know that Y/N's not dead, I know it. My heart knows it.