56

I didn't want to talk about everything that happened.

Yet.

Minutes after we have both calmed down with too much happiness about seeing each other, I didn't want to let go of her hand. I touched her ever so gently, feeling her skin warm against mine. My eyes kept staring at her face, noticing how tired she was. Eyes were deep and swollen, breathing unsteady. Silence wrapped the whole room for a whole five minutes, we took our time to just take everything in, without rushing. There's no need to rush anymore, we're together. Now, nothing else mattered.

Her eyes spoke thousand of words that her mouth couldn't say. I know that Irene had many questions, and she demands answers for each and every one of them.

I would answer, but not now. The memories were still fresh, too painful to be remembered. Soon enough, I'd be ready.

With a sigh, she seemed to understand my thoughts. Sitting on the chair beside my bed, she scooted closer, screeching the chair across the cold floor. She placed her head against the side of my chest, listening to my unsteady heartbeat.

Unsteady, because I was nervous. I feared that she hated me too much, she'd leave me. I hoped not, not after everything that happened.

"I missed you." A whisper came from the direction of my chest. A small smile came from my lips, I let my hands caress her black strands. Damn, they were so soft, it felt so unreal.

I missed you too.

I wanted to tell her that-but it wouldn't be enough.

I missed you so much more.

I was too overwhelmed to have the strength to speak. After a few more minutes of our silence and just feeling each other, I let tiredness take me. Slowly, my eyes fluttered close into deep slumber, relieved that I was finally home.

Finally.

The next few hours were torture.

I wanted to wake up, but my dreams felt too real to be not true. I've had my eyes closed for a long time, and all I could see was myself, falling again and again towards death.

There was too much pain. I could feel the slash of blades on my arms. I could feel strong hits on my ribs. I could feel my breath slowly fading.

But the torturous dream sent me to somewhere. Somewhere beautiful, somewhere I wanted to be real.

A father.

I became a father of children who looked so much like the woman I love. Eyes were like Joo-hyun's, lips and nose. They were little versions of my wife and how I'd love watching them.

We were at the park, sitting under a large tree where Irene and I sat on a picnic mat, watching our children run around the green grass barefooted.

Laughter.

I heard laughter around me, sweet and beautiful laughter. It was music to the ears, same as Irene's voice. It sounded so good.

But then they disappeared.

I looked around, wandering where they have gone. Looking beside me, Irene was gone. She'd flown away, far from me.

I opened my mouth to shout, to call their names, but no voice came out.

I couldn't speak.

Fuck!

Wake me up, I want to wake up!

"You think you have won, Ihwan?"

That name. That damn voice!

It was Cheoljong's.