23

As soon as I woke up on four in the morning, I snuck outside of the room and took a quick shower, then to prepare myself to leave. It was still very dark outside, the stars were still there shining so brightly. As I finished dressing up, I got out of the room then to find Irene who stepped out of the bathroom, still rubbing her eyes sleepily.

"No wonder the bathroom smelled like shampoo." She spoke approaching me. "You're leaving already?"

"I need to be at the office as early as I can." I spoke with a tone of apologizing. "I wanted to stay until your parents wake up to say goodbye but my company needs me."

"On New Year's eve?" She asked rolling her eyes. "Dad will be very mad if you leave like this."

"Perhaps you could say sorry in my place?" I asked smiling but she scoffed.

"No way. If you really leave right now, he'll never allow you to come back here." She said sitting on the couch. I sighed and slung the coat over my arms, sitting down beside her. I fixed the hem of my sweater and looked at the woman who looked so upset.

"So, there will be a next time?" I teased. She looked at me with a glare before throwing a pillow on my face. "Ow."

"Mom was expecting for you to help us buy the ingredients for tonight's celebration, you know?"

At that, I smiled at her like an idiot.

"W-Why are you smiling like that?"

"I thought our agreement was me just to bring you here." I chuckled. Irene smiled at me then lowered her face, looking at the bracelet that's on her wrist.

"I know but..." She paused then looked at me. "I'm a little worried about you."

"Worried? Why?"

"It's New Year's eve and you don't have someone to celebrate it with." She sighed.

"That's why we celebrated last night with Jimin and Seulgi, right?"

"But it's still different." She shrugged. "Like, having a family with you to start off the year."

"Yeah, I know that well." I chuckled. "What do you want me to do then?"

"Stay."

I raised a brow, staring at her in surprise. Irene gave me a shy and warm smile, then exhaled.

"Stay with us. I talked to my parents last night about you and I think I might've mentioned that you live all alone so..."

"They want me to celebrate here?" I smiled at her, leaning my back on the couch.

"Yes." Irene smiled at me. "I—please?"

I wanted to. I wanted to stay here because I couldn't resist her. Oh god, this is too much.

"I want to, Irene. But... I can't." I sighed, giving her a smile. Her expression quickly changed into a smile to a pout.

"Why not? Is it work?"

"Well yeah, that too. But I promised Rosé that I'll spend New Years with her."

---

"Excuse me, Mr. Joo?"

"Yes, Ysa?"

"Miss Chaeyoung Park is here to see you." A smile curved onto my lips as I heard my secretary.

"I was waiting for her. Let her in."

I sat on the swivel chair of my desk and watched Chaeyoung's figure appear on the large wooden door of my office. She walked past my secretary then walked her way towards me with a smile on her face, placing a paper bag on my desk.