40

The emptiness on the space beside her made Irene open her eyes, her sight was still blurry. The medium intensity from the lamp beside her made her eyes hurt that she closed them again. She touched the other side of the bed, trying to find Y/N's figure but there she couldn't touch anything but the stack of pillows beside her. She finally opened her eyes and saw the dim-lit room, it was still night time, probably past midnight.

She tried to sit up, but the pain on her head made her fall back on the bed again. She stared at the ceiling and tried to remember what happened at the party which was just a few hours ago, then she remembered that Y/N asked Taylor to take her home earlier.

"I shouldn't have drank too much." She muttered to herself.

After a few more seconds, she took a deep breath and pulled herself up to get away from the soft mattress that seemed to be pulling her back for more rest. Irene's feet brought her towards the bathroom where she checked if Y/N was there, but he wasn't. She looked at the balcony as well, but no Y/N to be found.

She took her phone on the bedside table and tried sending multiple texts to his number, she also tried calling but Y/N's phone couldn't be reached. She decided to step outside of room and closed the door behind her, until she could hear cluttering sounds from down the hallway.

"Who's there?" She asked frightened. "Y/N? Is that you, love?"

No answer.

She kept walking on the wide hallway of the second floor of the penthouse, until she saw the door of Y/N's study slightly opened. She approached the door, then to find out that the sounds were coming from there. She peeked her head on the small opening of the door, seeing a blonde woman standing infront of the desk on the end of the room.

"Chaeyoung?" The name fell out of her in surprise, making the blonde jolt up from where she was standing. A piece of paper fell off of her hands as her eyes grew wide, she turned into pale color. "Oh my god, what are you doing here?"

"Unnie! I-I..." Rosé stammered, she was frozen on her place. "H-Hi!"

"Why are you here?" Irene asked furiously. "And where's Y/N?"

"Y-Y/N?" Rosé asked, still stunned. "I- uhm. I don't know."

"Then how did you come in?"

"U-Uhm... H-He... He's still at the party! T-Then u-uhm, he asked me to... take some documents here at his study. Yeah, right. It happened like that."

Irene couldn't stop herself for being suspicious of the woman, she raised a brow at the younger woman then glanced at the paper that fell on the floor. She looked back at Chaeyoung and saw her staring at her, as if waiting for her approval if she was believing her excuses. Until Chaeyoung also noticed the paper that fell infront of her, a gasp escaped her lips and she picked it up quickly.

"I-I'll get going now, unnie. Y/N told me to tell you to sleep well and he'll be back—"

"Can I see that paper first before you leave?" Irene asked seriously.

"I-It's a little c-confidential." Chaeyoung laughed nervously and held the paper tighter. "Y-You know, u-uh, c-company files."

"You're not that good of a liar." Irene sighed and sat down on the arm chair inside the study.

"I know." Chaeyoung sighed and sat on the armchair across her. "I-It's actually for you, unnie."

"What's this?" Irene asked and took the paper from Chaeyoung. A familiar hand writing wrote the words on the letter, and by just reading the first word of the paper, she already knew who it was from.

"Hyunnie,

I suppose you're awake now. I don't have any idea how Chaeyoung will sneak this letter inside the house but I hope when you read this, you're calm. I don't want you to be that grumy Irene from before."

Irene paused reading after the first paragraph and looked at Chaeyoung, throwing a confused look. But the blond just nodded at her, as if telling her to continue.

"I'm sorry if I broke my promise when I said that I'll be beside you as soon as you open your eyes. And I'm sorry if I'm leaving again without saying good bye. But it's not good bye after all, I'll be back to be in your arms again.

I hope you understand that I have to leave for now. You know where I'm going right? I'm going back to where everything began, to where this dilemmas started. I have to fix everything that I've broken, to make everything better. Before I had you, I was a King who ruled my own country. An eight year-old kid who tried to rule his people but I failed to do what was right. I failed to let them continue with their lives even when I leave them. Now, I have to go back and make everything right. I have to do what I couldn't when I still had my throne. Knowing that my cousin is still alive, it means my people are in danger.

You'll understand, right? You understand why I have to go back, why I can't tell you these things, my plans. Thank you for standing by my side ever since I've set foot in your world. I know that you already know this, but I love you so much, Joo-hyun. Can you trust me this time? And now, I promise that I won't be breaking my promises. I will come back, to see you, to hug you and to shower you with kisses, like what we did, right? It might take some time, love and I know you're upset. You can hate me, you can hate me as much as you want, I'd still love you whatever happens.

No matter how hard it is and no matter how long it would take, I will find the right star that leads me back to you.

See you soon, my love. Wait for me, okay?

- Your King, Y/N."

Tears fell from her eyes as she read the letter word by word. Irene could feel her heart breaking into a million pieces, she felt betrayed by the only man he loved. As she read the letter, she realized why Y/N hugged her so tight the night before, why the man acted all weird by saying those things as if he's a poet. She realized that those hugs meant something, those kisses were his good bye without saying 'good bye' itself.

The last word made Irene's tears fall more aggressively, she was now sobbing while hugging the piece of paper that she was holding.

"Did you know everything about this?" Irene asked Chaeyoung who also had tears on her eyes, she nodded.

"I'm so sorry for not telling you, unnie."

Irene closed her eyes, her head automatically fell down as she felt weak. Chaeyoung approached her and gave her a hug, the blonde comforted her as she cried out in sadness.

"What if he dies there?" She asked in a whimper. "What if he doesn't come back, Chaeng?"

"He told you he's coming back, right?" Irene nodded, still sobbing. "Then he'll come back. He'll come back for you, Irene-unnie. Trust him, okay?"

주현 ~ 주현 ~ 주현 ~ 주현 ~ 주현 ~ 주현 ~

Don't forget to vote! 💗