46

Kingdom of Great Joseon, 1849

Three days.

Three days after the news about Heonjong being alive was spread around the village without Cheoljong knowing who was the source.

Three days since he began stressing himself to figure out who the hell spread that news when his plans aren't ready yet. Walking from here and there, the King massaged his temples with his thumb, feet stomping against the wooden floor of his bedroom.

Who might be it? All of Heonjong's accomplices are dead, he killed them by his own hands. Now who could be it?

Cheoljong was certain that his guards are loyal to him, no one in his palace will ever think of betraying him. He was sure of that.

But now, he has no other choice but to proceed with his plans, even if it means to be rushing his people.

"Jo-sik!" The King called out as if a growl, he finally settled on his bed and sat down. A man wearing a dark green gwanbok came in through the sliding door, feet tapping against the floor. As the King eyed him with a glare, the man gulped and stood with his back steadied straight.

"You called me, your highness?" He bowed down with both hands resting on his stomach. His voice sounded gentle, but it was obvious that he intentionally did it, expecting that it might help the King to calm.

"Is there any progress? Did they find who that person is?" He asked witha deep-voice, enough to make his servant shiver in fear.

"N-Not yet, your highness. B-But Kwon-Yul is doing his best to—"

"Tell him to stop the search." Cheoljong spoke.

"Excuse me, King?"

"I'm sure you heard me loud and clear, don't make me repeat myself!" Cheoljong raged and lifted from his seat, one of his arm swiping from left to his right with force. Jo-sik flinched from where he stood and nodded immediately, bending his back forward once again before leaving the room.

---

Cheoljong ordered the palace's messengers to confirm the news that his cousin was alive, and knowing that the village had been celebrating because of the news, maddened him. It caused him to make another incidental decision; declaring that tomorrow will be the day he would put an end to his cousin's life.

The morning was gloomy, the sun was hiding behind the dark and large clouds of the sky. It matched the serious atmosphere inside Cheoljong's bedroom. Three lady servants were gathered around him who stood above a small wooden platform, elevating him from the floor. Arms were spread in the air, the black gonryongpo slipped from his head to his body. One of the woman buttoned it from behind, while one of them fixed the white collar from the inside of his clothes. The other woman took the hat from the small table, the ikseongewan that was made for only him. Normally, those hats were just black but with his orders, he wanted the thread to be colored in gold to recognize him as King.

Walking along the stoned path towards the large field in the palace, eunuchs who fell in line behind him followed his steps. When they arrived at the field, Cheoljong saw the head of his palace guards, Kwon-Yul who was gathering the guards with his loud, audible voice.

"Good morning, Your highness." The man greets with a bow, then lifts up his back. He slid the sword inside the metal sheath on his side and turned to his army, a few steps behind the King.

Today, his plans will take place.

As he ordered his messengers to gather the people of the village in front of the palace gates, he ordered a group of men to prepare his cousin, to his death.

Cheoljong wanted to cut his cousin's head in front of the village's people, to take over Joseon with his power to the fullest, without anyone obstructing him. Ever since Cheoljong had a mind of his own, his goal was to ascend to the throne. He knew that it wouldn't be easy, especially that he isn't someone special like Ihwan who's born to be the successor and crown prince of King Sunjo, his cousin's father.

He was born in a small village where the Kim Clan lived ever since Joseon was established. He grew up believing that he was just meant to live a life outside the gates of the Palace, but he always had questions in his mind.

Why can't it be me?

Living on that large palace, he thought that Ihwan was lucky to be born as the King's son. He wished to be him, to live inside the closed gates of the palace and until he made efforts to be known as a great soldier when the war against Jok Clan and Kim Clan, Ihwan's grand-mother herself adopted him inside the Kingdom, giving him a position under the palace's military.

Now, he had reached his goals and he can't fail or if he does, he think he'd go crazy. Cheoljong had suffered to make his way towards the throne and there is no way he's letting everything go.

He will kill Joseon's twenty-fourth ruler with his own hands.

---

He was just there at the field, waiting for everything to get ready. With a sword in his hand, waved it around and pretended to be fighting with someone. When he saw the group of guards that he ordered to take Ihwan from his prison, he could see the limp body of his cousin that was covered in dried blood, mixed up with those new and fresh ones. Heonjong's head had a brown sack covering it for an unknown reason, but Cheoljong didn't have to ask. What's important is his cousin is there, and his sword is ready.

"Should we tie him up now, your highness?" Kwon-Yul asked, making him stop from his movements.

"You know what to do."

With the King's order, Kwon-Yul ordered his people to tie the erstwhile King on a pole in front of the opened palace gates. Cheoljong had to stop waving his sword and took the white cloth that one of the eunuchs handed him, wiping his sweat.

"Everything is ready, your highness." Jo-sik informed him. Cheoljong's lips curved upward into a smile as he nodded, taking steps towards the venue where Ihwan was tied.

From not far away, he could see the number of people gathered in front of the gates, they were mumbling to each other while exchanging confused gazes. Cheoljong stepped on the wooden platform and cracked his neck, taking the sword from Jo-sik.

Everyone was silent as Cheoljong pulled out his metal sword from it's sheath, he held his head high and watched the man tied on the pole struggle, trying to snatch his hands away from the tight rope. The sack still remained on his head, preventing the people to recognize who that man was but as Jo-sik announced what was going to happen at that very day, the people exchanged frightened looks, some almost fell on their feet in fear. Heonjong was loved by the people of the village, ever since the Queen was still bearing him. Knowing that his parents are kind to the people of Joseon, they already knew that the crown prince would take care of them just like his parents did.

Cheoljong watched the people cry in front of him and Heonjong's figure, anger began filling up his senses as he realized that he can take away the throne from his cousin, but never the love that the people gives him.

It drove him to the edge.

He took a step forward, towards the wooden pole where Ihwan was tied up. With a hand, he grabbed the sack on his head tightly, but still not pulling it off. Under the brown sack, he felt the man's long hair under it, making him narrow his eyes.

Has it been too long that Ihwan's hair grew a little longer?

Then his eyes widened as he pulled off the sack from the man's head, an unfamiliar face of some random man was under that sack.

It wasn't Heonjong. Not his cousin.

"Who are you?" He asked as his jaws dropped in shock, so as the people surrounding him. "Who is this man?!"

"Y-Your Highness, he's one of my guards—"

"Then why is he here?!" Cheoljong raged and raised his sword, aiming it towards Kwon-Yul's neck. "Where is he?! Where is Heonjong!?"

Where is he?

주현 ~ 주현 ~ 주현 ~ 주현 ~ 주현 ~ 주현 ~

Are you guys ready for the ending?