hayes

May 27, 1985

Hyannis Port

The Kennedy's had all joined in Hyannis for Jack's 68th birthday. Jack hadn't seen his daughter in about a year and a half, now that he practically lived in Hyannis in the compound, with his nurse that Kate paid for. She now lived in Georgetown by herself, going back and forth to classes everyday, she was in the mist of getting her degree in medicine, and Matt was getting ready to go into the army.

Earlier that day, Matt called and had an important question on his mind.

"Mr. Kennedy?"

"Oh Matt, hello! How are you and Kate?"

"Kate had one more class before we left, so we'll be leaving in about and hour or two, once she gets home."

"That's great I'm pretty excited to see you two again!"

"Mr. Kennedy I'm just going to get to the point, Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course, what might that be?"

"I wanna marry your daughter, before I go into the army, so I was calling to ask if I could have your daughter's hand in marriage?"

"Of course Matt, I am absolutely thrilled to hear that my girl will soon be engaged! When are you going to pop the question?"

"Well actually I was thinking the night of your birthday, considering you are so very important to her, I've already had the ring picked out, it's beautiful and I think she will love it. It's emerald, like your wife's, that's what she always talked about"

"That's quite a great birthday present, I would absolutely love that"

"Well then it's set, we'll see you tonight Mr. Kennedy"

--

May 29, 1985

Hyannis Port

Jack watched from the back patio as Matt got down on one knee, and his daughter started to cry

"On this very important day, Jacqueline Kate Kennedy, I ask if you will take me as your husband. Will you marry me?"

"Yes, Yes!" He jumped up as the two hugged

Kate turned around to see her father sitting there watching.
She flashed her ring to him, and kissed her newly engaged husband. Quickly she ran to him and wrapped her arms around him

"I'm ENGAGED daddy!"