eyes

August 27, 1963

Georgetown Memorial Hospital

Room 7

*BEEP*

Jack started to freak out as a machine started to go off beside him, now that Jack had been through so many times where those machines showed no heartbeat, he cringed every time one would go off.

Kate had still not waken up, it worried Jack, it worried the doctors. They had tried everything, taking her off of oxygen, pain meds (that did not end well), even down to Jack just straight talking and talking to her. Nothing was working.

Although as the doctors came around for rounds, like they did every morning, him and the doctors finally realized there was something they hadn't tried, holding her. Jack didn't know why he hadn't thought about that, but now that he knew he was going to hold his little girl he was ecstatic. He really didn't realize how much he missed rocking her to sleep every night.

As doctors crowded around Jack, he was finally handed his girl. It was hard to hold her because she had to be held at an angle to where it wouldn't set her machines off, but did he care? No not at all.

A small beeping came from a machine in the corner, so he looked up to see why and where it was coming from. He heard doctors talking and just as he looked down he saw what he longed so hard to see.

Kate's beautiful, big brown eyes

The doctors clapped as tears rolled down Jack's eyes, he was so relieved. She was awake and all she looked at was her daddy, then she started to move around quite a bit in Jack's arms and the nurse placed her back in her crib.

Now that she was awake so many things could come off, the tube down her throat, one of the ivs in her little foot, and all the many sensors to alert them if she moved or not.

Quickly Jack rushed to his phone, and dialed the number

"Hi, you have reached Jacqueline Kennedy, please leave a message and I'll try my best to get back to you"

BEEP

Jack's heart sank as he realized nobody was going to answer that phone. He missed her so much it was unreal, and Kate's deep brown eyes weren't helping.

He once again scrolled though his contacts to somebody he knew would answer. His Mom

On the first ring Rose immediately picked up.

"Jack, what's going on?" She said worry clear in her voice

"Mom, she's awake"

"Oh, Jack!"

"She's staring at me right now"

Jack could hear somebody come in the room

"Mom, who is that?"

"Your brother"

"I figured mom, which one?" He said sarcastically

"Oh of course it's Bobby"

"Will you please hand the phone to Bobby?"

"Sure, I love you Jack call me if ANYTHING happens"

"I promise I will mom, I love you"

Rose handed the phone to Bobby

"Hey bro, what's up?, how's katies?"

"She's wide awake, starting at me right now"

"So, why do you need me?"

"Oh right, Bobby I'm a mess"

"What do you mean?"

"Jackie, I- I dialed her number I was so excited in the moment, and just knew she would pick up, but she didn't, man Bob I miss her so damn much"

"I know Jack we all do, I mean I'm coming up in a few days so you will have me to keep your mind off of it, gotta go Jack, love you"

"I-I"

Then Bobby hung up on Jack