✰ 12. dentist ✰

it started off as a small, insignificant ache in brocks mouth, nothing that a few painkillers wouldn't sort out. but as the week progressed, the right side of his mouth was off bounds, and he was struggling to hide it from jose.

ever since brock was little, he had an irrational fear of the dentist. he was always scared that they were going to do something wrong, or forget to numb it or-

"brock?" jose asked.

"hmm?"

"why aren't you eating?"

"um, i'm just not hungry tonight."

jose knew that this was a lie. brock would never deny food, especially not food that jose had cooked himself. so, he decided to take matters into his own hands, and called his mum.

this obviously wasn't the best choice, but seeing as though brock wouldn't eat, he had to do what was necessary. when brocks mum explained the situation, he couldn't help but giggle. brock never had any irrational fears, and always was the one to calm joses nerves. it would be nice for jose to help him for once.

the next morning jose rang brian, a close friend of theirs that was also a drag queen (katya). he was also a nervous patient, so jose wanted brock in safe hands. after being referred to a nearby dentist, jose had a plan.

"babe?" jose said as sweetly as possible.

"yeah?"

"come here pleaseeee!"

brock ran down the stairs, looking as happy as he could. jose noticed he was clutching his mouth again.

"so... i had an idea. we haven't been out on a date in a while, so do you wanna go for ice cream?"

it was cruel. unbelievably cruel. but brock agreed straight away and jumped into the car. jose turned the satnav on. he sighed as he realised his big mistake when the satnav began to talk.

"this is your route to churchill dental practice. please tur-"

"jose?" brock asked nervously chewing his lip, and jose sighed, knowing there was no easy way to go about this.

"you are in pain! and i wanted to do something so i called your mum and-"

"you called my mum!"

"well yes but for your benefit! and please don't be scared because i'm gonna be right there by your side the entire time, and katya reco-recog-... suggested this place!"

brock grabbed joses hand and squeezed it.

"thank you for caring but i really can't go. i haven't been in like 20 years, they'll literally kill me!"

"yes you can. i'll be there."

the car journey there consisted of jose holding brocks hand and rubbing soothing circles around it, not wanting to let go. when they arrived at the dentist, brock stayed firmly still in the car.

jose practically had to rip him from his seat, but got him inside pretty quickly. as soon as his name was called, brock whimpered and wouldn't leave joses side. he also wouldn't sit in the chair, so in the end jose had ended up with brock on his knee, cradling him whilst the dentist looked in his mouth.

they found the problem: a tooth growing at a wrong angle. not his fault, but it would need taking out. and brock was terrified.

the whole procedure jose held his hand and stroked his hair, helping him breathe and relax.

even though his eyes were glossy from tears and he couldn't stop himself from shaking, brock felt a lot safe with jose holding him.

around 30 minutes later, it was all done, and brock and jose got back into the car. brock shot straight into joses arms.

"thank you," he mumbled, mouth filled with cotton.

"you don't need to thank me. you were the brave one!"

and they drove home, hand in hand. brock knew that he had found the one: especially if he could put up with this every 6 months.

word count: 646

hey guys! this was a v long one because there are going to be a few short ones. i have a combined 4 hour spanish exam and a 2 hour science exam which is determining which paper i'm doing for my gcse's, so i won't be able to write a lot. i hope you all understand!