✰ 31. dealing with children ✰

"roy?" danny asked, an edge to his voice.

"danny?"

"please don't get mad..." he mumbled, and roy raised an eyebrow.

"what have you done?"

"okay so i may have invited my younger cousin over, but i haven't seen her in a few months and i really miss her and i promise she'll be good i-"

"danny." roy said seriously. "i don't mind. in fact, it'll be nice to have a kid around! how old is she?"

"she's 9!" danny exclaimed. "i'm so excited!"

"come on, let's go and get the spare room made up." roy took danny's hand and led him to the spare bedroom, beginning to set everything up.

two days later, and amy was due to arrive in the next hour. danny was completely ecstatic, whereas roy was nervous.

"okay so you should know she is very very shy, and might not warm up to you straight away. but don't stress! she'll like you."

there was a knock at the door, and danny squealed, running to it. when it swung open, he embraced a little girl in his arms, swinging her around.

"amy!" he shouted, and roy could hear her giggle in danny's arms. his heart soared at the sight. the older girl stood in the door stepped forward to hug roy.

"hi, i'm rosie, danny's aunt. don't look so nervous! you'll get on," she reassured him.

soon enough, rosie left amy with them for the weekend.

they had all sat on the sofa, amy snuggled up to danny's side, anxiously glancing at roy every few minutes. when danny got up for the toilet, roy tried to talk to her, even though he had no experience in talking to 9 year olds.

"hello," he said softly, using the tone that he used when danny was panicking. "i'm roy."

she sunk slightly into the sofa, a blush covering her small freckled face, before replying a quiet "i'm amy,"

roy smiled at the progress, and so did amy.

"well amy, do you wanna watch a movie?" replied roy, and amy nodded her head frantically.

roy put on danny's favourite disney movie, 101 dalmatians, and hoped that amy would like it too.

danny came back in and saw the movie on and yelled happily, running into the kitchen to get some snacks for the three of them. soon enough, it was around 6 o'clock, and roy decided that he would go and make dinner.

bringing in a plain margarita and stressing just in case amy didn't like it, he let out a sigh of relief when he saw her face grinning happily.

danny wasn't wrong when he said she was shy. she ate her pizza in silence, and mumbled an appreciative "thank you!" when she was finished.

after they were finished and it was dark outside, danny ushered amy off to bed. when coming down he realised they had nothing for breakfast for her.

"i'm just running to the shop, ill be ten minutes." he called out, unlocking the door.

"okay babes," roy replied.

he was around 10 minutes into a random comedy he found on netflix when he heard the small patter of feet behind him.

"ames?"

"danny?" she asked shyly.

"no, roy. danny's just gone out. what's up?"

"uhm... i cant sleep."

roys face softened and he paused the tv, picking up amy and carrying her to his bed. her fingers laced in his t-shirt, but he didn't seem to mind.

he placed her in the double bed before getting in next to her. "are you scared?" he asked and she nodded.

"well, now i'm right here. you can go to sleep now." he didn't know whether it would work, but it was his best shot.

he played with her hair until she fell asleep. soon after, danny walked in and his heart melted.

"hey there mr i-dont-want-kids," he teased.

"shut up." he mumbled, blushing. "oh and danny?"

"yeah?"

"when can we get one of our own?"

danny chuckled, before lying next to him and a sleeping amy.

"whenever you like,"

word count: 678