XXXIV

Joe's POV

"Joe , what do you mean , is there something you're hiding from me ?" She asked , looking at me strangely.

"Jenny , don't lie . If you would just tell me-

"Joe , I don't know what you're talking about!" She exclaimed defensively , crossing her arms over her chest and avoiding eye contact . I sighed and rubbed my forehead. I lifted up her phone AMD she squinted her eyes to read the messages . I saw her face drain all the color as she looked up at me .

"Okay , it's not as bad as you think it is ," Jenny said slowly , shifting her weight onto one leg , than another.

"Jennifer , are you cheating on me ?" I asked quickly , looking down at the floor . I didn't want to ask the question , but I had too . It frightened me to ask the question, but also frustrated me that I would even jump to a conclusion like that .

"No , no ! Joe , honey I would never cheat on you !" She exclaimed, wrapping me into a hug . When we broke apart I felt her sigh warily and she sat on the arm of the couch in the living room . I followed her and sat down on the chair across from her . There was a long , uncomfortable silence that made me even more anxious .

"Babe , if...if you want to , to get something off your chest , then , I think you just...you just need to tell me so I can help yo-

"I'm trying to tell you . Just , in , in the right way ," She said , crossing her arms over her chest and biting her lip . She always does that when she's lying , it's a dead giveaway.

"Jennifer...

"Joe ! Please !" She snapped, cutting me off . I was getting frustrated with this secret of hers , I didn't like it . Why the hell cant she just tell me ? I huffed and looked at her stubbornly .

"What did I do wrong!? If you would just stop interrupting me-

"I'm not interrupting you and you didn't do anything wrong !!" She shouted , furrowing her eyebrows .

"You just interrupted me !" I yelled back , throwing my hands out .

"Don't yell at me !"

"You just were yelling at me !" I exclaimed , covering my face with both hands out of confusion .

"That's because I'm fucking pregnant Joe !" She screamed .

I felt my heart begin to beat at a faster pace as I realized what she said . She's...she's pregnant ? I thought she was on the pill ? I kept my hands on my face , trying to cover up my shock . I heard her let out a small noise , I can't describe what she sounded like , but it hurt me even more that it vaguely sounded like a cry .

I slowly looked up at her , taking my face out of my hands and I could see her flustered face , realizing what she said .

"I-I didn't mean to tell you like tha-

"Pregnant ?" I asked , almost breathlessly like I was going to faint .

"Don't freak out on me , Joe . It's fine , just a...a shock I assume ." She said uncomfortably , her eyes shifting to the floor .

"You're pregnant ? Like , there's a baby growing...inside of you ?" I whispered softly, gawking at her nearly flat stomach .

She nodded awkwardly and looked up at me timidly .

"I'm maybe like , I think 3 weeks due ? I'm...I'm not that far along-

"Wait . You're 3 weeks pregnant ? Why didn't you tell me sooner ?" I asked , tilting my head .