XXXVI

Joe's POV

"I'm sorry , I don't know what you're talking about Joe ."

"You do . You sure as hell know what you're doing , George , or Paul ."

"Who's Paul ? Never heard of the guy ."

"You know what I'm talking about , I'm not going to try and get you to directly say it. But what I am going to do , is tell you to quit it and shut it down , or I will personally force you too ." I warned , pacing the floor . He let out a deep laugh and I could almost see him smiling .

"You won't hurt me . That little stunt that landed me in jail ? I could see you were still panicky with that . You've lost it Joe ."

"What do you mean , I've lost it ?"

"It . You've lost the ability to hurt anyone . I've seen you on TV . You've lost every bit of aggression in your body . Those punches you gave me , sure, they made me bleed , but I was expecting harder . "

"Just shut up , shut up George . I can still knock you out like I used too ."

"Ooh , you're getting angry , aren't you? What you going to do , find me and knock my teeth out ?"

"You know I will like I did in college ."

"Empty threats , really ."

"Fuck you !" I exclaimed , hanging up . My face burned with anger , my heart beating with hidden fear .

Light up a cigarette .

What the fuck ? No , no , I'm not doing that . Never again , I won't , that shit almost killed me .

It won't hurt ! You know you want to .

No . No . No . No.

I but my lower lip and quickly ran upstairs , walking into the bedroom. I saw Jenny curled up asleep with the book rested upon her stomach . My heart beat slower as I watched her peacefully sleep , her chest rising up and down gently . I quietly walked over and gently pulled the book off of her and covered her with the blanket . I clicked the light off and climbed into bed , even though I was too nervous and angry to sleep.

I looked over at her and my eyes trailed down to her stomach . My heart pace quickened as I thought about being q Dad . What if I wasn't good enough ? What if she didnt like me as a Dad ? What if my own kid didn't like me as a Dad ? What if she finds out about all this shit going on ? What if she doesnt want me as the Dad ? What if she breaks up with me ? Oh my God , I'm going to be a terrible father . What if George still doesn't back off ? What if my kid has to see that bastard harass us ? Oh my fucking God, just...just all those things couldn't get worse .

****
Jenny's POV
1 : 00 AM

I felt rustling and heavy breathing beside me as I quickly opened my eyes . I sat up and turned over to Joe , who was having another nightmare . I saw a pained expression on his face , his cheeks a dark red . I quickly shook him awake before it would get any worse.

He quickly sat up , his eyes wide and alert . His chest heaved up and down , throwing his head back on the pillow .

"Joe , honey , it's just a dream , just a dream . You're safe , you're at home ." I said , rubbing his chest .

"Just-It's just-ughh-" He groaned ,rubbing his eyes .

"It's okay , you don't have to talk about if you don't want to ," I said quietly .

"No , it's just this whole...this whole thing . Like , I'm going to be fucking dad . Our child is in your stomach , and what if I'm not a good enough dad ? I don't know everything on how to take care of a kid , that's scary enough .What if my own kid doesn't like me ? What if I'm the worst father ever ? Oh my God , I'm going to be a horrible dad , I just know it !" He exclaimed , rubbing his forehand .