XLIII

Joe's POV

I gently moved Jenny's head from my lap and placed it on a pillow , but her eyes fluttered and grabbed my wrist .

"Where you going ?" She asked , tilting her head.

"Someone knocked on the door , I'm going to see who it is ," I nodded , making my way over there .

"Wait for me !" She whined , running up to me . I chuckled , continuing to walk oeve there with Jenny quickly following behind me . I opened the door and ti my surprise , no one was there . Uhm ? I then looked down and saw a small grocery bag .

"What the hell is that ?" Jenny asked , covering her mouth . It smelled like rotten animal .

"I have no idea ? Who would just have a grocery bag dropped at our house-

Then the contents spilled out .

It was Lily .

I gasped and dropped the bag , looking at her small , lifeless body . Oh my God . Her neck was slit open , dry blood surrounding the area . Her turquoise eyes were wide and glossy , no life in them . Jenny shrieked and fell back , but i quickly caught her a second before she hit the ground . I knelt behind her , wrapping my arms around her . She cried into my shoudler , her sobs making me want to cry , but I couldn't . I had to stay calm . I shakily picked up Lily's small furry body , checking for anything else . Deep down inside me I wanted her to be alive , to be able to feel her soft fur and hear her small , gentle purrs when she went to sleep on my chest at night . I loved her , Jenny loved her. I let out a strangled noise when I continued to look at her , wanting to cry out . Jenny looked up and sobbed even harder when she saw Lily again . She took Lily away from my hands and cradled her in her arms , tears falling down her cheeks.

"No...no...I just...I just saw her this morning ! Where was she ? She can't be dead , Joe , she can't !" Jenny cried , holding Lily up to her chest . I felt myself tearing up as well , and I couldn't help but let the tears fall down , trying to stop , but I couldn't. I quickly wiped them away on my sleeve , biting my lip .

"Where's Miko and Romeo ?" She said frantically , cradling Lily . My heart dropped . Romeo was her favorite . She loved all of them dearly , but Romeo would always greet her in the mornings , play with her when she was sad , and would spend time with her when she was mad at me. Miko did too .

I ran upstairs , hearing Jenny quietly crying . I checked the guest bedroom , they weren't there . Our bedroom. Not there . My heart started racing and getting more anxious as I checked the bathroom . They weren't there . I sprinted down the stairs , running into the laundry room . Romeo sometimes plays in the washer and dryer , I quickly checked in there , shifting through all the clothes . He wasn't in there .

"Romeo ! Romeo !" I frantically called into the dryer , but he wasn't in there . I went into the kitchen . Miko sometimes is in the pantry . I thrusted open the door , hoping to find his little black tail sticking out of the bag of cat treats . I would give anything to see his little head sticking out of his food bag .

"Miko ! Come here , kitty kitty !" I said anxiously , clicking my tongue . I shifted through the packages of food , throwing it to the side. I then heard a squeaking sound. I let out a sigh of relief and kept digging . Once the shelf was empty , it was too dark to see if he was in there . I shifted half my body into the empty space .

"Miko ! Miko ! Come here , little guy !" I exclaimed , clicking my tongue again . I then felt fur brush up against me . I let out a gasp and quickly grabbed him and pulled him out . I pulled out Miko , thank God . He was playing with a squeaky mouse . His bright blue eyes were wide , with his pupils dilated as his perfectly white teeth sunk into the smooth fabric . He stopped biting it and looked up at me . He started purring and let the out the softest little meow .