XLVI

Joe's POV

"Honey , you didn't do any-

"But I did , Jenny ! I never should have talked to George . The next time I see him , I'm going to kill him ," I said , pulling her closer to me . I couldn't even stand to look at what George did to her . Anger rose up inside me quickly thinking about it . I didn't even want to think about what she had gone through , the sheer terror she must've experienced , how he...he forced himself upon her . Without her consent . I felt her sniffling against my shoulder , her small hands tightening around my arms .

"It's okay , Jenny , just cry all you want , it's fine , I'm here ," I whispered , wrapping my arms tighter around her .

"I just...I just can't help but think...what if , what if I gave up too soon ? What if he...he...got to the point where , he...

We both knew what the end of that sentence was.

"He didn't , he didn't...p-penetrate you , okay ? You made a smart decision , you're an intelligent person , Jenny . You shouldn't have to be making such drastic decisions in dangerous situations ." I said slowly , feeling her heart beating at a frantic pace . Her whole body was trembling , she had tried to stay strong and act like nothing happened , she was breaking apart . I wish George wasn't even someone we had to worry about . The woman I loved , was taking the the consequences of what I've done . Why is that ? Why not torture me instead ? It suddenly clicked .

He's slowly destroying my life . He knows it's torture enough to see anyone I love in pain . He's picked Jenny . Why her ? She's too delicate . She's sassy , she can be a smart-aleck , but that's something anyone could be . She doesn't , she doesn't rob people , she doesn't get back at people in the most horrific ways . Why must he destroy her , physically and mentally ? She's got hickeys , bite marks , and bruises on her neck , God knows where else she has them . She's trembling in my arms , she's crying . I don't care . As long as she's mine , she's beautiful either way , bruised or not . She's still Jenny . She's still my Jenny , goddamn it .

"Joe , you don't think I'm...I'm a whore , or a slut do you ?" She asked quietly , keeping her head down , buried in my chest . She hadn't lifted it up once . My heart sank as I heard her question echo through the house .

"Honey , no , no , I would never think that ! Listen , listen to me . I will never think of you as that . You're not a slut , you're not a whore , you're not a thot , no , no , you're Jennifer Ford . Jennifer Ford gets treated like goddamn Royalty in this house , nothing less ." I said slowly , lifting her chin up .

"I love you ." She whimpered , tears filling her eyes again .

"I love you too , I'll never stop ." I whispered , rocking her back in forth . Tears streamed down her face , her hands wrapping around mine . My God , I could feel them trembling in my hands .

"Do you need anything ? Tell me if you need something , anything . Even if I have to swim over shark-infested waters to get you a glass of lemonade , I'll do it , just ask ," I said into her ear , brushing her hair back put of her face .

"I just want you , that's all , Joe ." She whispered , resting her chin upon my shoulder .

****

I lazily opened my eyes , my mind immediately thinking of where Jenny was . I looked down to see her curled up on top of me , with a blanket covering her , slightly falling off . Quickly I fixed the cover up for her , so it would cover her whole body . We had gone over to the couch to talk , and we had fallen asleep . She didn't want to leave my side , but that's alright , I didn't want her to . The Yankees hoodie she was wearing , which was mine , was baggy on her , and it would slide off in the sleeves , revealing her arms . My eyes widened at her bruised wrists , they were basically purple . What did George do to her ? She wouldn't even tell me exactly what happened , she said she didn't want to think about it . I of course didn't pester her about it , if she didn't want to talk about it . She'll tell me when she's ready .