Part 26: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓔𝓷𝓭𝓰𝓪𝓶𝓮

⭐️

"Just as long as we're all in agreement

"Just as long as we're all in agreement."
~*~
Word Count: 1750

I shook my head awake and hit my helmet in an effort to restore the systems--but to no avail.  I retracted my mask and began coughing out the dust that covered the inside of my throat.
I have to find someone... anyone.

I held two fingers to my temple and called out telepathically, "Does anyone hear me?!"

"Kathy!  Kathy!  I hear you!"  I heard Rhodey's thoughts call.

"Are you okay?  Can you get out?"

"I'm fine, the armour protecting me from the debris and I think I can get out.  I'm with Rocket, but the building is flooding!  Wherever you are, you have to find the surface."

"You too.  Get Rocket to safety and pick up anyone you find along the way."  I distanced myself from Rhodey's mind and tried to find Steve's.  "Steve!"  No response, but I saw his shield about a meter away from me.  I shuffled through the mud and rock and grabbed the shield, choking on a cough, desperate for more air.

I wobbled up and began looking around.  As I did, my eyes fell upon the unconscious soldier in red, white, and blue.  I quickly slid to my knees and shook his shoulders.

"Come on, Steve.  Wake up."  I begged.  As if in response, he jolted up, coughing.  I let out a sigh of relief before patting his back.  "There you go.  Cough it out."

"Are--Are you okay?!"  He asked through heavy coughs.

"I'm fine,"  I held out his shield, "but if you lose this again, I'm keeping it."  He gladly took the shield back and I helped him to his feet.

"What happened?"  He asked, looking around at the wreckage.

"We messed with time.  It tends to mess back.  You'll see."  We made our way through the wreckage, every once in a while slipping in the mud.

~*~

Finally, we felt some fresh air and saw some natural light.  Along with the light, we saw a silhouette of Thor holding Stormbreaker while staring down Thanos who was sitting across the wreckage.  We joined Thor at his side.

"What's he been doing?"  I asked.

"Absolutely nothing."  Thor replied, plainly, almost bored.  "Where are the Stones?"