Part 35: 𝓕𝓪𝓬𝓪𝓭𝓮

"Keep going

"Keep going."
~*~
Word Count: 2327

NEW YORK

I walked into the meeting room and found Ross sitting in the chair, arms folded.  "Stark, sit."  He ordered.

I hated having orders barked at me like I was some dog, but I did as he said, sitting next to him.  "Mr. Secretary, to what do I owe this pleasure?"  I sarcastically said.

"You were this close to revealing your identity all for a facade!"  He said, furious and stressed.  "Look, when you were just a kid, I promised your old man that I would help keep your identity a secret so you could go to school, learn, and make friends.  You were this close to throwing away ALL THAT for nothing!  The Queen was in no danger, neither were the party guests, it was nothing more than a magic trick."

"I know this, Ross."  I glared hard at him.  "But you weren't there.  Whoever this magician is, is nothing to laugh at!  Believe me, I did and look where I am now.  His mind is unlike anything I have ever witnessed!"

"That doesn't change that it's one you have to stop."  Ross brushed away my testimony of what happened.  There was a tense silence and I bit the side of my cheek while focusing on the small details in the wood table.

"What do I do?"  I asked, quietly.

"Go home." He answered with a sigh. "I'll take care of the press."

I nodded gratefully. "Thank you." I said quietly. "May I be excused?"

"Yes." He said, also quiet.

~*~

I sat on the bench outside the building, swinging my legs that didn't quite touch the ground.  My attention was pulled up when I heard May's car pull into the driveway.  I stood and walked over to the car, dragging my feet slightly.  I opened the door to the backseat and sat down, noticing Peter sitting next to me.  As she drove, I felt Peter's eyes on me and a lump of guilt formed in my throat.

"I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye..."  I whispered, looking over at him.  I expected a face of anger, but I was met with one of worry.

"It's fine, but where were you?"  He asked.  I swallowed thickly and averted my eyes back to the window.

"I'll tell you when we get back."  I said and felt him reach for my hand.  I laced our fingers together and we continued the drive in silence.