Part 49: 𝓗𝓮𝓻

"I'm tired of putting her in danger

"I'm tired of putting her in danger."
~*~
Word Count: 2013

We were on our way again to Prague and I put on the EDITH glasses.  "EDITH?"

"Hello, Peter.  How can I help you?"

"Hey, umm..."  I lowered my voice significantly as my classmates intermingled in the seats around me.  "There's this guy in my class who's—"  I muttered, but was cut off my EDITH.

"Peter, I'm having difficulty hearing you.  Can you please speak up?"

I exhaled a shaky breath and raised my voice slightly.  "Umm... Brad Davis.  He has a photo of me."

"Brad Davis."  She identified and pulled up his picture.  "Is he a target?"

"'Is Brad a target?' Umm..." I looked over at him and saw through EDITH that he was looking at the picture of me on his phone. "Yeah.  Yeah, he's a target.  He's a target."

"Copy that.  Target is Brad Davis.  Initiating strike."

My mind did a double-take and my eyes widened in slight panic.  "Initiating what-now?"

"Intercept point determined.  Releasing kill vehicle."

"EDITH?"  I stammered.  I caught something from the corner of my eye and I looked out the back of the bus.  There was a drone with firearms extending from it, aiming for the bus.  I gasped and removed my glasses.  "Oh, my god..."

Flash suddenly whipped the glasses out of my hands and examined them with a laugh.  "Dope glasses, Parker.  How'd you pay for these?"

"Flash, come here."  I reached for my glasses.  It's like middle school all over again... "Give me that, Flash."

"I'm really paying you a compliment."  He claimed and put the glasses on.

"Please, please!"  I reached for the glasses, but Flash swatted me away, so I swung my arm, nailing him in the face.  I drew back slightly in shock when I realised I had knocked him unconscious.  "I'm so sorry."  I whispered and took my glasses off of him and put them on me.  "EDITH, don't kill Brad!" 

"Peter, do you want me to cancel the drone strike on Brad Davis?"

"Did you just punch Flash?"  One of my classmates asked.

"No!"  I replied, accidentally telling EDITH that as well.

"Firing."  I quickly shot a web at the driver's wheel and steered us away from the bullet.