Part 47: 𝓗𝓮𝓻 𝓕𝓲𝓷𝓪𝓵 𝓦𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼

"You're a very difficult person to contact

"You're a very difficult person to contact... Spider-Man."
~*~
Word Count: 1914

Soon after MJ and I's exchange, everyone went upstairs for bed.  I got in pyjamas and Ned and I had just finished brushing our teeth as we entered our hotel room, but he stopped me in the doorway.

"What are you gonna do about the water monster?"  He asked me, still a little on edge.

"Nothing, it's dead."  I said, plainly, with a shrug.  "And besides, that Mysterio guy's all over it.  Look..."  I started as I walked into our room to put my toothbrush away, "I just wanna spend time with you and Kathy, when she comes back.  Aside from mission drama, things are going really good between us."

"That's nice, it reminds me of when Betty and I first fell in love."  He told me as he followed me into the room.  My back was turned, but I was still listening.  "I had just finished my fruit cobbler—" Ned suddenly stopped talking and I heard him fall to the couch with a thud.  I spun around, toothbrush in hand, and saw him unconscious. 

Then, a voice in the dark corner caught my attention.  "You're a very difficult person to contact... Spider-Man."  Nick (flipping) Fury said from the recliner, a tranquilliser in his hand that was resting on his lap.

"Y-You're Nick Fury."  I said, shakily.  "You just shot Ned!"  I exclaimed quietly, still shocked that he found me.

"It's just a mild tranquilliser, he'll be all right.  So good to finally meet you.  I saw you at the funeral, but I figured that wouldn't be a good time to exchange numbers."

"N-No, that would've been really inappropriate."  I agreed and he rolled his eye.

"That what I said."  He nodded with a 'duh' tone. "The point is, you're here.  I tried to bring you here.  You avoided me, and now, you're here.  What a coincidence."

At first I nodded, but then I asked, "Wait, is it a coincidence?"

He ignored my question and continued, "I used to know everything.  Then, I come back 5 years later, and now, I know nothing.  No intel, no team, and a high school kid is dodging my calls.  Here's what I do know... a week ago, a village in Mexico was wiped out by a cyclone."  He held up a hologram with pictures of a ruined city in the desert.  "Witnesses say the cyclone had a face.  I called in Stark because I figured she would be able to help.  Three days later... a similar event in Morocco."

There was a knock at the door and Mr. Harrington pocked his head in.  "Just making rounds.  Seeing if anyone needs emotional counselling after today's traumatic events."