Part 40: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓝𝓮𝔁𝓽 𝓒𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓪𝓲𝓷 𝓐𝓶𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓬𝓪

"I promise, when Captain America leads the Avengers and goes to save the world, I will be standing right there beside her

"I promise, when Captain America leads the Avengers and goes to save the world, I will be standing right there beside her."
~*~
Word Count: 2138

The helicopter landed in the middle of the woods.  My eyebrows knitted together in confusion and I lifted my head from Peter's shoulder to get a better look out the window.  "Mom, where are we?"  I asked.  She just smiled and gave me a knowing look as the door opened.  She stepped out with out saying a word and after exchanging confused looks, Peter and I followed. 

The breeze that hit my face was immediately refreshing and a very nice change from the polluted air in the city.  We continued walking and I felt Peter's fingers brush against mine.  I reached my fingers to his and intertwined them, feeling his trembling, but looking up at him and seeing him mask his fear with determination.  I gave him a comforting smile and squeezed his hand.  When he did the same, I turned to look ahead.  Then, Pepper lifted a large branch and I was confused until I heard cranking of gears. 

Suddenly, we were being lowered down into a sort of basement.  It looked just like Tony's labs, but underground (obviously).  Peter and I looked around in awe while Pepper and Happy watched our reactions with amusement.  "Tony had this built for you, Kathleen."  Pepper's words made me look back to her.  "He knew he was lucky that the world reacted so well to Iron Man and he was worried that they wouldn't react well to you.  He figured you might need a place to lay low if anything happened."  She explained, walking off of the platform, us following, and the platform lifted back up to blend in with the woods.

"He had only the best security installed."  Happy told us as we continued to stare at the advanced laboratory we were in.  "What Pepper did may have looked easy, but really, when she lifted that branch, dozens of cameras ran facial recognition and only we are allowed down here."

"What if Maeve sets up an illusion of one of us coming down here?"  I asked.

"Maeve's illusions aren't physical, they're mental.  As in, they show the brain what she wants the brain to see.  When Maeve was in London, all the cameras saw was the Queen looking scared and you talking to no one."  Happy explained.

"So cameras wouldn't see her illusions anyway."  Peter pieced together and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh, thank god."  I muttered, running my hands up my face, through my hair, behind my head, and around my neck.  My eyes closed as I tried to relax.

"Are you okay?"  Peter asked, softly.

I nodded before answering verbally.  "Yeah.  Yeah, yeah, yeah..."  I trailed off, my eyes still shut.  "I just... I need to relax.  Is this just a lab, or is there, like, house stuff?  A bedroom?"  I asked, opening my eyes a little.

"Yeah, out that door, to the right, you'll see it."  Happy replied.

"Great, thanks, Hap."  I said, forcing a smile and dropping my hands to my sides, walking to the door.