Part 45: 𝓙𝓮𝓪𝓵𝓸𝓾𝓼𝔂 & 𝓦𝓸𝓻𝓻𝔂

"I need her to be okay

"I need her to be okay."
~*~
Word Count: 1530

I tried staying up for Kathy, but I ended up falling asleep before she got back... or did she?  I jumped awake to my alarm and got up to get ready.  When I didn't see any movement from the top bunk, I sighed.  "Kathy, come on, we have to get up, our flight's in two hours."  No response.  "Kathy?"  I looked over, but when my eyes set on her bunk, my heart dropped.  Her bunk was empty.  I paced over and hit the blankets in disbelief.  "May!"  I cried in panic.

"What wrong, sweetie?"  She asked from the kitchen, noticing my panic.

"Is Kathy out there?!"  I asked, running out, sliding on my socks.  I frantically looked around, but the only one there was May.

"N-No, is she not in bed?"  Her eyebrows pinched in confusion and concern and she approached me.

"No!"  I laced my fingers and set them behind my head as I paced around the apartment.  "What if something went wrong?  What if she got hurt or—"

"Peter, you can't think that way."  May immediately shot down, holding my shoulders so my arms dropped to my side and I stopped pacing.  "Kathy can take care of herself.  That's why this Agent Bury guy sent her on this mission in the first place."

"F-Fury, but-but whatever."  I sighed and looked over at the pictures of us on the fridge.  "It's just—May, I can't lose her.  I can't."  I looked back at her, shaking my head.  "I mean with everything we've been through—Germany, homecoming, Thanos—both times, and the beginning of this year—I've just–I've gotten so close to losing her so many times and I'm terrified that one mission, she isn't gonna come back.  And..."  I tried to steady my voice as tears came to my eyes.  "She's everything to me and I've lost so many people that I loved, I-I can't lose her.  I need her, May.  I need her to be okay." 

May sighed and pulled me into a tight hug and I cried into her shoulder.  "Oh, Peter..."  she whispered as she rubbed my back.  "I'm sure she's fine.  She's fine!"  She assured, but it did very little to help my emotional state.  "Listen, sweetheart..."  I released her and she held the sides of my head so I was looking at her.  "You have a flight in two hours.  Go on your trip.  When Kathy comes back, I'll call your teachers and say she was just sick or something and she'll go join you, okay?"  I nodded weakly.  "Okay... she's fine, sweetie."  She brushed a curly lock out of my face and I nodded.  "She's fine."  She whispered as she planted a kiss on the top of my head.

~*~

I was rushed, but I caught the flight and found out while my baggage was being searched that May had packed my suit.  Luckily, the security lady didn't question it and instead took my banana. As we boarded the plane, I threw my bag up to the upper compartment. "Yo, Parker!" I heard Flash mock and I sighed as I turned to see him holding a drink as he went to first class. "This is called an airplane! It's like the buses you're used to, except it flies over the poor neighbourhoods instead of through them." I gave a sarcastic nod as I sat down next to Ned with a sigh.