Part 36: 𝓞𝓻𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓪𝓻𝔂

"Without him, I would just be ordinary

"Without him, I would just be ordinary. But who said that would've been a bad thing?"
~*~
Word Count: 1236

I heard Megan sigh deeply and I spun my head around to look at her loading her gun.  "Oh, Kathleen... I was just beginning to like you.  I really wish it didn't have to end this way."  She aimed her gun at me and a pang went off as she fired.

I ducked down and bullet flew past me.  Megan, or Maeve fired again and I scurried away, practically falling out of the door and into the hall.  I looked back and when I didn't see her follow, I broke into a limping sprint down the hall and around the corner.  I raised my hand to my earpiece and groaned, "I need evac!  Abort mission!  I repeat, I need evac and abort mission! Does anyone copy?!"  But I got no response, only a quiet chuckling through my telepathy. 

"You're so cute, calling for help from your friends.  You didn't actually think you'd left Hydra, did you?"  I didn't answer her, but that was enough of an answer for her.  "You will never escape Hydra. Not truly. Just like your friend, Barnes." When I turned another corner, I was met with Bucky, but not the one I knew. This was the Winter Soldier.

"K3, can't you see it?" He asked. He sounded just like him too, but I knew it wasn't him. "This is where people like us belong!" I shook my head.

"You're not him." I denied. "Bucky's in Wakanda." I charged at him, ready to punch, but he caught my fist and twisted it, triggering a yelp to escape me lips. I swung my leg to his face and he released my arm before tackling me to the ground.

We wrestled and he got me in a chokehold with his metal arm, another sign that this wasn't the real Bucky. He lost his metal arm in Siberia. I pulled on his arm, desperately trying to get air. "Come on, K3. Make this easier for me." He muttered, tightening his grasp.

"Get out of my head, Maeve!" I screamed and sent a wave out, causing Bucky to vanish and Maeve to fall the ground in front of me. I slowly rose from the ground and grabbed her gun, aiming it at her head, but it was quickly knocked out of my hand by a flash of blue. I gasped and snapped my head up. "Piet—" with another flash of blue, I was punched in the stomach and sent to the wall, gasping for air. I looked ahead and saw Pietro help Maeve up. "Pietro, she's the granddaughter of the man who tortured us!" I cried.

He looked at me, his eyes cold. "We volunteered for that, K3. That was up to us."

"But, Piet—" suddenly I was thrown to the ground.

"You see your past as a curse. I see it as a blessing. Who would I be without Strucker? A scared kid in Sokovia, with no one but his sister." Out of nowhere, Wanda appeared by his side.