34 - Thirty • Four

Sabrina laughed and Marinette could soon hear her footsteps walking away. She banged on the door again, feeling weaker by the moment.

She had no idea this was going to happen. Maybe it had been better to just stay with Chloe and Lila at the cafeteria. Hearing them talk trash was at least way better than this.

The more she banged on the door, the more her mind was brought to her last life. She remembered when Lila and Chloe had locked the door, lighting the room with fire, and leaving her to bang on the door until she died. She felt sick to the stomach just having that memory.

Then she realized something. She had a bit of hope as she pulled her phone out of her pocket. It was a good thing she never forgot to bring her phone wherever she went. Quickly, she dialed Alya's phone number, and waited.

"Hello?"

Marinette would have been pleased that someone picked up. She would have been jumping up and down, yelling for that person to go and get her out of this room. But she realized... That voice didn't belong to Alya.

"S-Sabrina?"

Sabrina chuckled. "Marinette, do you think I'm stupid? I knew you would call Alya, so I stole her phone in advance. Don't think about calling Nino either. His phone is dead!"

Marinette felt that last bit of hope die. "Why are you doing this, Sabrina?! What did I ever do to you? Think about this. When you were upset and ran out of the cafeteria, I was the only one who came out to look for you; to check if you were okay! Chloe and Lila didn't even care. If they were really your friends, they would have wanted to know if you were okay, Sabrina! I shouldn't be the one you're hurting! They should!"

There was a few seconds of silence, so Marinette was guessing that Sabrina was in a bit of shock.

"Sabrina, what I told you before was not a lie!" Marinette continued again. "Me and Chloe aren't friends, and I don't think we'll ever be. Me and Lila?... Pah, don't even think about it! I'm just using them... And they're using me as well. Yeah, we're both using each other to get what we want. The thing is... They don't know that I'm using them... Yet I know every single one of their plans!"

"Marinette..." Sabrina seemed to whimper over the phone. "You're right, but... Chloe is the only friend I have. I just felt threatened by you."

"You don't have to feel that way, Sabrina," Marinette try to assure her. "In fact you can... You can help me if you want..."

"Marinette, I have to tell you something."

"Sure, what is it?" Marinette calmed down, breathing in and out.

"I had a choice!"

"What?" Marinette frowned, though she knew Sabrina couldn't even see her. "What do you mean?"

"Chloe and Lila gave me a choice. They told me... Either I go with you... Or I go with them," Sabrina sniffed. "I was stupid back then. I chose them... I became the bad one..."

"Wait!" Marinette interrupted her. "What do you mean... Back then?"

"I was stupid to think that Chloe and Lila were the good ones!" Sabrina continued, not answering her question. "They said I could become the boss of them, they said I could have whatever I wanted from them. In felt tempted and agreed."

"Sabrina... What are you talking about?"

"Marinette... I know you went back into time!"

That was about when Marinette dropped the phone.

~~~

"Alright, the door's opened now." Marinette could hear voices. She slowly started opening her eyes, looking around.

She was still in that room. When she looked at the door, she saw Alya, Nino, Chloe, Lila... But her eyes were only on Sabrina. Sabrina was standing so still as if she was glued to the floor. When Alya and Nino helped Marinette up, Sabrina ran out of the room.

"Marinette, are you okay?" Alya looked so worried. "I'm sorry I didn't get your call earlier. I somehow lost my phone, but Sabrina found it for me and said that she picked up your call, knowing that you were in here. Sabrina was the one to find the key as well... How are you feeling?"

Marinette gave a small smile at the floor. So she helped me... But she didn't tell the truth? So everything I heard from her... Everything during that conversation... It wasn't just a dream?

Marinette sighed. "I'm fine, don't even worry about it. What... I've been stuck here for about how long?"

"Lunchtime ended but you didn't show up for class," Alya explained. "That was about when Sabrina walked up to hand me my phone and told me you were in danger. Marinette, who locked you in here?"

"I... I don't know... I didn't see who it was..." Marinette lied, and she could see Lila and Chloe give her a look like they didn't believe her. "I have to... I don't feel so well... I have to go home."

"Sure, I'll tell the teacher that you're leaving. It's fine." Nino quickly spoke up. "I'm just glad you're okay. But don't worry, soon we're going to catch whoever did this to you, and then they're going to pay!"

"Thanks..." Marinette slowly made her way to the door, Chloe and Lila giving her space. Chloe looked over at Lila and nodded at her, and Lila gave her a little nod back. Marinette ignored it and walked away from all four of them.

Really, the only reason she asked to leave was because she had to talk to Sabrina. Sabrina knew her secret. She's known all along, but didn't say so. But Marinette knew... There was more to the story than what Sabrina had told her.

~~~

Word Count: 978 (including this)
-Edited-