40 - Forty

Marinette stared at the huge gate of the Bourgeois mansion. She was finally here, the keys clutched in her hand. She started making small steps towards the front door and took out the golden key as Adrien had said.

She put the key in the keyhole and twisted it, pushing the door and the door opening. First she peeked inside, as if she was expecting someone to be in there. But she heard nothing, so she walked inside.

It wasn't her first time being here, definitely not, but yet she couldn't wash out the nervousness in her body. She was breaking in for goodness sake. Who knew Mr. Good Boy Adrien was actually a bad boy, stealing keys and telling her to break in?

Marinette wasted no time at all. She closed the door and raced upstairs, towards Chloe's room. There were a lot of doors upstairs, but Marinette remembered that Chloe's bedroom was the first room you would see once you arrived up the stairs.

Marinette opened the bedroom door and walked inside. She looked around the room, everything placed neatly. She saw a door in Chloe's room and opened it, only to see that it was her very large closet. She could see the new clothes Chloe bought in there as well.

Adrien didn't exactly tell her where to look, so that meant she had to search every inch of this room until she found that book, which was, honestly going to take a while seeing that Chloe's room was 10 times bigger than hers.

First Marinette decided to check the closet. Who knew, maybe Chloe was hiding some secrets here.

There were different sections in Chloe's closet. She could see a whole bunch of hangers, and the clothes were sorted by their names. There were some dressed, such as the ones Chloe had bought at the mall the other day; body-con dress, halter dresses, some 1- shoulder, strapless, Qui Pao, and a lot of gowns.

You don't even want to know how many types of shoes she had stored in this closet. It was like Chloe Bourgeois had every single types or clothes and shoes in the world.

After searching through clothes and shoes, bags and make-up, purses and scarfs, hats and jackets, Marinette gave up and moved on.

Then Marinette started with drawers in Chloe's room. She opened every single one of the 26 drawers, searched through them all, but found nothing important. Some things she saw in the drawers were just some cards, a to-do list on what types of clothes to buy next, and some make-up. She had seen a black key, but she didn't know what it was for, so she didn't pick it up.

Next Marinette searched Chloe's insanely large bed. She checked under first, but underneath the bed was tidy and clean. She checked under all the pillows, and even the bed sheets. Nope. Nothing was on the bed.

Marinette sighed. That's when she suddenly noticed Chloe's backpack that was right next to her shelves of dolls. Marinette walked up to the bag and picked it up, unzipping it and seeing what was inside.

There was a homework book that was due last week, some more make-up, there were a couple of some school supplies, some of them being broken and snapped into halves. Things were looking pretty hopeless now. Marinette was about to place the bag back down, when she noticed a box.

She took the box out. It wasn't a small box, it wasn't that large either; just big enough to fit Chloe's bag. The box was black and white; Marinette noticed that Chloe had written her name underneath the box with black marker.

She tried to open it, but realized it was locked. There was a keyhole, and Marinette widened her eyed, knowing that she had seen a key somewhere before. Oh yeah, the key was in one of the 26 drawers.

She groaned and stood back up, going back and re-searching all the drawers, until she came to the sixth one. There, inside was the same key she had seen. Marinette smirked and picked up the key, went back to the box and unlocked it. Suddenly she didn't feel so nervous about being here anymore.

As she was just about to open the box and see what was inside, Marinette heard the front door opening. She gasped when she heard Chloe's voice. Quickly she locked the box again, but didn't place it back in Chloe's bag. If there was ever a time she needed to use her full brain and think of a plan, it was now!

~~~

"So then I told the girl to give me back my money. Can you believe she was a bad hairdresser?!" Lila rolled her eyes, then she continued with her story. Adrien was nodding his head throughout the whole thing, Sabrina yawned a few times, and Chloe was busy checking something else out.

"Alright! That's enough storytelling for now," Sabrina sighed, cutting Lila from telling the rest of her story that was boring her to death.

Lila frowned but stopped anyway. She then gave Chloe and Sabrina a look that was telling them to leave so that she could have an alone time with Adrien.

Sabrina rolled her eyes, but she and Chloe got up to leave anyways.

"Where are you two going?!" Adrien was quick to stand up and stop the two from leaving. "We still... Have so much more fun to have. Come on, it's not even two hours yet and you want to leave?"

"Nah, I'd rather go," Chloe shrugged. "I've got some other things to do. Hey, at least you still got Lila. She'll accompany you."

Adrien silently groaned as Sabrina and Chloe left. He only hoped now that Marinette was done and out of the place.

"Adrien, I feel like we haven't got a chance to know each other better," Lila gave him a wide smile. "So here's our chance. I've got a game. I'll ask you 20 questions, and you'll ask me 20 questions. We both have to answer truthfully, and we'll take turns. Want to go first?"

Adrien nodded, then looked down, thinking of a question. Finally one came to his mind and he blurted it out. "Why do you keep trying so hard?"

"What?"

"Lila, I have a girlfriend, and you know that as well. I saw the look you gave Chloe and Sabrina. You wanted them to leave so we could have an alone time," Adrien rolled his eyes. "Listen, I already know about you liking me, but I'm going to have to ask you to stop. We can be friends still, but you can't keep trying so hard. Now! You haven't answered my question yet. Why do you keep trying so hard?!"

Lila could barely utter a word. She could barely speak and answer the question. Finally she glared at Adrien and spoke. "Because I believe that I'm way better than Marinette. She took my chance. If she hadn't been getting close to you, I would have had a chance to show you who I truly was, and then I would have been your girlfriend, not her!"

"Lila, there's something you don't understand," Adrien spoke so calmly. "I liked Marinette way before you enrolled to our school!"

Lila gulped at his words. "I... Well, if I had a chance, maybe you would have fallen for me as well and clearly see just how much better I am than her!"

Adrien chuckled. "Very funny. The day I'll ever start liking you would be the day monkeys sprout wings and learn how to fly!" He stood up and started walking out, Gorilla following him. "With the stories I've heard about you, it's going to take a very long time to get me to like you. Please understand what I told you."

Lila clenched her fists at his words.
Well, we'll see about that, Adrien!

~~~

Word Count: 1327 (excluding this)
-Edited-