Tulsa

𝕰𝖒𝖒𝖆'𝖘 𝕻.𝕺.𝖁

When I woke up the next morning, I was on the couch. I figured my grandpa must've moved me. I had to have been out cold because I typically feel when people move me when I'm sleeping. His house was just as I had remembered it. On the same wall as the front door, right beside it, is a black leather couch. It was scratched up from his chihuahua, Peanut, who was usual was sleeping there. In the corner was a lamp, and on the wall right beside it, was another black leather couch, which I was laying on. Beside that couch was the recliner. There was no wall there. It lead into a hallway with two spare bedrooms. One of which was the office. On the wall beside the door, across from me, was the TV. Down that hallway was the bathroom and his room.

I patted for Peanut to come, but he just starred at me. He was a bit of a jerky dog, but I loved him. I pulled the blanket off my body and grabbed my bag. I walked into the tiny bathroom and changed into a pair of ripped up jeans and a white T-shirt. The tile was cold so I put on some socks and went into the kitchen and dining room. If I'm being honest, it was my favorite part of the house. Along the whole wall to my left was music. There were Beatles posters, and poster from where my grandpa preformed when he was younger. Guitars and amps of different kinds lined the wall. There was also a bunch of other things I wouldn't dare try to describe. On the other wall was the sink and some cabinets from the kitchen. Then a big piano. In the corner of that wall was a small box TV. In the center of the room was the dining room table. Behind that was the glass door to the backyard. I got a bowl and a box of cereal from the cabinets. I poured the cereal into the bowl and added milk, then sat down at the table.

I flipped on the TV and decided to leave it on some cartoons. My grandpa came in from outside and shut the sliding glass door hard. I had heard before that door always had problems closing if it wasn't slammed shut. I guess it wouldn't lock.

"Good morning, Grandpa." I said.

"Morning Emma. I'm glad you're awake. I wanted to talk to you about something.

I kept my head down towards my cereal but lifted my eyes to his. He sat across from me. "Is everything okay?" I asked, slightly concerned.

"Oh yes, everything is fine." He said, relaxing into the chair and waving his hand.

I raised one eyebrow. "Then...what's the problem?"

"There's no problem. As you know, today is Sunday." I nodded. "And, tomorrow is Monday.... When Ashley called me, she suggested I enroll you into school right away. I did as soon as I got off the phone..." He started.

I sighed. Here I was hoping I didn't have to endure the LAST week of school.

"Grandpa, there's only ONE WEEK left of school. What was the point?" I groaned.

"Well, school is important. Plus, maybe you'll meet some people. There are a lot of gangs around here. It would be wise to find some close friends quickly so you don't end up getting jumped." He said.

"Grandpa, there were gangs in Talladega and I'm still here." I argued.

"Ah, because you had friends." He said.

I sighed and stirred my cereal in my bowl.

"Anyway, did you bring your backpack?" My grandpa asked.