Halloween

𝔈𝔪𝔪𝔞'𝔰 𝔓.𝔒.𝔙

It's been a month since school started. We were already in October just four days from Halloween. We weren't going out because Steve's race was Halloween night. Everything kind of went back to normal. Soda was back to himself, especially with the race coming up, Dally was adjusting to his job, Steve was still fixing up his car and so on.

Janell is seven months along now and her belly has definitely grown. She has a lot more trouble doing things and doesn't like to walk or stand for long periods of time. She's also been very moody because of the amount of weight she's gained and she misses her leather outfits and motorcycle.

I was laying on the couch throwing a crumbled piece of paper up and down in the air while Dally quizzed me for my upcoming test, but truth was, I was barely paying attention.

"Capital of Florida?" Dally asked.

"Tallahassee." I answered throwing the paper up into the air again.

"Number of pink peanut butter jelly sandwiches?"

I sat up. "What?" I asked.

"Just making sure you were paying attention." Dally said.

"I mean not really. This test is so stupid. We already know this." I complained.

"Why are you taking it?" Dally asked.

"Some stupid kid made a bet with our geography teacher. Long story. I'm so excited for Saturday niiiiiiiight." I whined.

"Yeah we all are." Dally said, putting down my flash cards and walking into the kitchen.

He seemed stand-off-ish as usual. I followed him into the kitchen and sat the table, opening a root beer.

"Are you gonna participate in the rodeos this year?" I asked.

"Probably not this year. Buck went outta town to visit some family and with Janell being pregnant and everything I don't wanna leave her side. Plus Steve is racing this year and I wanna make sure I don't miss a second of it." He said.

I nodded and took a swig of my drink.

"Pony said I should barrel race." I said.

Dally chuckled.

"What, don't think I can do it?" I asked.

"Nah, it isn't that. It's just a funny thought." He said.

I shrugged.

The next morning I drove Johnny, Pony and I to school. I did this often since I got my car. Sometimes Pony drove, other times I let Johnny get a spin, but most of the time it was me.

That Morgan girl and I became close for a few weeks until one of her friends told me she had a huge crush on Pony. I kind of figured but brushed it off. But then it made sense because she started talking to me a lot and even starting to talk like me. I had a bit of a drawl with certain words I said from growing up in Alabama and I noticed she tried to mimick my accent. She also began dressing similarly to me.

It became annoying so I tried avoiding her. I told Pony about it and he just snorted. We got to school and did our daily school things. I aced my stupid test which I was happy about. We got to lunch and all sat at our table. I got to know some of Johnny and Pony's school friends but I didn't talk to them often. Pony slipped his hand under the table and grabbed mine. I looked over at him and smiled but was distracted by Morgan walking towards us.