Chapter 40: Midterm Mayhem

The next Monday I walked into Government with Alexy and Armin on either side of me. Alexy was describing the latest fashion show that had been put on and Armin was simultaneously telling me about how he achieved his latest high score in Guitar Hero 2. I was trying my best to listen to both of them and nearly ran smack into Nathaniel's chest. I gasped in surprise and stepped back, looking up into Nathaniel's startled face.

"I'm so sorry," I said, quickly taking a step back as Nathaniel's golden eyes focused in on mine.

"Opal! What happened on Friday? You didn't come to AP Bio."

Alexy and Armin flanked my sides and gave me curious stares.

"You skipped out?" Armin asked in shock and I tried not to blush.

"Something came up and I had to go. I'm sorry I worried you," I apologized while looking up at Nathaniel. He frowned and I bit my lip. If I told him what really happened I just knew he would get mad and I didn't want that. "Auntie called and excused me," I said and Nathaniel visibly relaxed.

"Well, that's good then. I'm glad you weren't sick."

"Nope! I'm completely fine," I said with a grin and Nathaniel laughed, shaking his head.

"I'm glad. I forgot my textbook in my locker, so I'll be right back."

"Okay," I said and he waved slightly as he left the room.

"Rrrrrrrr," Alexy purred, giving me a teasing look, and both Armin and I rolled our eyes.

"Not jealous are you, Alexy?" Armin asked and Alexy scoffed.

"What, of that stuffy bookworm? Hardly. Doesn't he know there isn't a dress code here?" Alexy asked and I made a mock offended face.

"Why Alexy, how rude. He's probably going to be the President someday and then you'll wish you hadn't made fun of him."

"Pfft, unless he becomes the president of a fashion industry I don't care," he remarked saucily.

"I think it's cute that he always wears a tie to school," I commented with a small smile.

Alexy gave me a look that let me know precisely what he was thinking and I couldn't keep from bursting out laughing. My laughter was abruptly cut off when something hit my head lightly. Turning around I found myself staring into a familiar smirk.

"Castiel!" I said happily. "You came?"

Castiel had texted me Saturday morning to let me know his fever was gone but he still didn't feel well. Auntie and I had made him some more Okayu and gone over to drop it off for him. He had thanked us both but I hadn't heard from him since then so I hadn't been sure if he would be up to coming to school today.

"Of course. Now you should move out of the way."

I chuckled and shook my head. Yup, he's back to normal, I thought with an inward grin.

We all took our seats and soon Nathaniel was back, followed by Lysander. I wished for the hundredth time that Castiel and Nathaniel could get along as our innocent conversation about animal preference turned into a war of dog versus cat. Looking back at Lysander I frowned and he smiled quietly as if telling me to bear with it.

My days slid into a regular pattern of school, homework, and lessons with Shin Woo. Alexy and Armin would come over almost every Saturday evening too. Armin would bring his Xbox and try to teach me how to play Super Smash Bros while Auntie and Alexy poured over the latest fashions and worked on a portfolio that he could turn in to Auntie's stylist friend. I reveled in the normalcy and I enjoyed spending time with all of my friends. Before I knew it, three weeks had gone by and it was the week of midterms.